Can't import ProRes 422 files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 28th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't import ProRes 422 files

Another cross-platform problem. I'm using CS5 under Windows 7. I have a client that films in their auditorium using their video rig. It consists of a PTZ camera that is going into a Mac being captured using an AJA video card (not sure which one). They are using the software that came with the card for recording and as long as you stay on the mac, everything is fine.

For some reason, though, I can't seem to get these files recognized on a PC. They are .mov files that are coming up as Pro Res 422. I've had issues with Apple Intermediate codec in the past, but never ProRes. Even from this client I haven't had issues. Now, though, nothing is being recognized. I've tried exporting a couple different formats out of MPEG Streamclip, but those aren't recognized either. I've tried doing this on both my Macs (Laptops that I use for audio) as well as my main PC.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

--Ben
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Can't import ProRes 422 files

Tagging for the same problem.

My workaround was to encode them into Cineform files, but that took a LONG time as it was about 127 gig worth of footage.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Major Player

The only issue I've had playing ProRes 422 in CS5 or CS5.5 on the PC is that when using files from the Atomos Ninja, the ones with 4-channel audio were not supported. Adobe just fixed this with the latest update for CS5.5

Make sure you have the ProRes codec (only requires QuickTime to be installed from what I gather), and if the clips have 2-channel sound, I don't know why they would not work. Could be 4-channel?

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Major Player

I have QT Pro installed and still can't get them in.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Same here. Getting ProRes files out of a Final Cut session is never a problem. And before this, it seemed that I didn't have issues working with these files either, but now, I'm just having a bear of a time dealing with it.

I downloaded the demo of Cineform, and Cineform (for the mac) is telling me that it can't encode off of them.

This is rather frustrating. Right now, I'm using MPEG Streamclip to try to make new files using the Cineform codec. Perhaps that will work....

--Ben
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, that shows promise. Has taken forever to deal with, but there is a chance that this is going to work.

I exported out of streamclip using the QT wrapper using the Cineform codec. Seems to import into CS5- I did try to load Cineform on the PC, but got errors. Probably installed the codec anyways when I did this. I also de-interlaced the video, bringing it in at 60p. (video was shot at 1280x720).

Perhaps this will work- it is a bear to have to re-encode all that video. On my macbook pro (17" with the thunderbolt port) it is averaging about 3-4 hours per hour of video.

--Ben
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Adobe Systems

It should work as long as you have the most current version of QuickTime Pro 7 installed. If it still doesn't work, try installing this: Apple ProRes QuickTime Decoder 1.0 for Windows
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Trustee

Not wanting to hijack, but thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.
Just got a 60gb ProRes 422 HQ file to use on my Windows 7 machine,
Dropped it into AME to encode to Cineform,
My ProRes was graded full range 0-255,
The Cineform has now been mostly (there is some spill but mostly) crushed back to 16-235,
Giving it a washed out look. Its not unusable by any means, just, not the same.
Is it because I used 422 YUV?
Should it have been 444?
Any thoughts most appreciated.
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Monahan View Post
It should work as long as you have the most current version of QuickTime Pro 7 installed. If it still doesn't work, try installing this: Apple ProRes QuickTime Decoder 1.0 for Windows
I have quicktime installed on my machine and when I tried to install this (even before your suggestion), there was an error flag that came up saying that there were more recent codecs in the new Quicktime and it wouldn't install.

The Cineform thing worked, but was sort of a pain. Just wish I knew why some Pro Res files work and others don't.

--Ben
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Adobe Systems

I guess the current QT installer won't let you install the old decoder. That's fine, the new one would work. Sounds like something is amiss with the way the ProRes files are being captured.
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #11
Trustee

I have no problem playing PR HQ files from a PIX240 in both Windows Media Player and CS5 on 2 Windows 7 PCs.

Maybe have the people giving it to you try and re-encode to PR with only 2 audio channels?

Good Luck :)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite