Partitioning your system drive: still a bad idea with an SSD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Partitioning your system drive: still a bad idea with an SSD?

Hi everyone,

I am now a MacBook Pro user with a brand new 240GB 6Gbps OWC SSD inside it.

For all sorts of reasons, I need Windows on this machine, and previously, I have had Windows installed on the stock, 3Gbps SSD in the optical drive bay.

What I'd prefer is to install Windows on a second partition of my faster SSD and use the second drive as scratch and storage.

But Harm's wonderful guide here states:

Quote:
Rule 1: NEVER partition a disk. You may ask why? First of all, it does not increase disk space, it just allocates the space differently. However, the major drawback is that for a partitioned disk the OS must first access a partition table at the beginning of the disk for all accesses to the disk, thus requiring the heads to move to the beginning of the disk, then when it has gotten the partition info move to the designated area on the disk and perform the requested action. This means much more wear-and-tear on the mechanics of the disk, slower speeds and more overhead for the OS, all reducing efficiency.
I've always followed that advice, but wonder if it applies to an SSD. Harm's guide is even prefaced by saying "SSD's are left out here".

So ultimately, will partitioning my system drive hinder its performance? Particularly in Premiere?

Thanks again,

-- John
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Partitioning your system drive: still a bad idea with an SSD?

John,

My article was written two years ago and was limited to conventional disks only. With SSD's there is no mechanical wear and tear of heads moving across platters and with the fabulous access times of SSD's the overhead of using partition tables is in fact negligent.

My previous warning about partitioning conventional disks does not apply to SSD's, so if it fits your purposes to use more than one partition on a SSD, I can not think of any valid reason why you should not do that.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Partitioning your system drive: still a bad idea with an SSD?

Thanks Harm - that's what I was hoping to hear!

-- John

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite