Premier CS5-Color Correction / Grading at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 7th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Premier CS5-Color Correction / Grading

Hey guys, what's the best way to grade my video in Premier CS5? I recently came over to the premier family from FCP and I'm use to color.

thanks
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Premier CS5-Color Correction / Grading

There is an ample number of filters that are supplied with Premiere Pro: Fast Color Corrector, Three-way Color Corrector, Luma Curve, RGB Curves, levels, and a bunch of other stuff.

However, for serious work I would suggest obtaining Magic Bullet Colorista or Looks, because there is no simple way to create vignettes and masks in Premiere.

Or export XML to Color/Resolve.

Or wait for CS6 with Iridas SpeedGrade integrated with the suite :)
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Have you tried just using Color if you are still on a Mac? you can send a final cut XML out of Premiere, and import the final cut XML from Color I believe.

Alternativly check out DaVinci Resolve Light.

If you are on Windows, you are currently limited to plugins (not great ui experience) or After Effects (not great ui and no real time playback timeline)
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been a huge fan of Colorista as you can just grade on the timeline. However it might just be me but it doesn't seem that quick in Premiere compared to FCP. Perhaps I'm now just spoiled by how fast all the Mercury effects work in Premiere?

Do check it out though. Although if you get along OK with Color (I personally dislike it) then you can still use it.
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Harris View Post
... what's the best way to grade my video in Premier CS5? I recently came over to the premier family from FCP and I'm use to color.
No best way -- depends on what you have and what you are trying to do with it. The "normal" way in the Adobe family is to export the footage to AE and grade it there. There are bound to be plugins for grading in PP though.

AE ships with Color Finesse by Synthetic Aperture. An interesting tool that makes a lot of grading tasks fairly easy.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite