Performance of Premiere using Pentium G620 2.60ghz VT-x at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Performance of Premiere using Pentium G620 2.60ghz VT-x

I am trying to buy an affordable system to use Adobe Premiere with and am looking at a Intel Pentium Dual Core G620 Processor (2.6GHz, 3M)

huge thanks in advance!
-JS
Jason Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Performance of Premiere using Pentium G620 2.60ghz VT-x

Hi Jason,

According to Adobe's system requirements for CS5.5, a Core2 Duo will work. That said, minimum requirements to RUN the software, and minimum requirements to run the software and be happy with the results, are two entirely different things.

You don't say what kind of footage you're editing, but if AVHCD, HDSLR, etc. then you'll want some horsepower or you may be disappointed with performance. A Core i7 - 2600 is a very good choice today, along with a compatible Nividia display card to take advantage of GPU acceleration in Mercury Playback Engine.

I understand budget concerns and if an i7 won't work, then shoot for at least an i5 to get quad-core performance versus the Duo. If you're just doing some hobby stuff here and there, maybe you'll get by with the Core2, but don't expect a lot of realtime.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Major Player

I use an Acer 5750 laptop.
i5 Sandybridge processor
8gb DDR3 ram
Intel HD3000 video
external USB HDDs.
£419 inc Delivery.
The laptop was originally to be used solely as our internet machine. I thought I would try Premiere CS5.5 on it, before buying an i7 desktop for editing. That purchase has now been put on hold.
The laptop is amazing with CS5.5, I can edit AVCHD with no problem. Just finished a 3 cam multi edit, everything ran in real time, colour correction, 3D transitions, all as smooth as butter. Of course I cant take advantage of the GPU Mercury playback engine, but non the less, rendering is reasonable. The chapest edit computer I have ever purchased.
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

GREAT info. doing a bit of research now and will post my findings or questions...
thank you for replies so far!
-JS
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Hello Jason,

That Pentium G620 is a low-end Sandy Bridge dual-core with no Hyperthreading. As such, don't expect the performance in CS5.5 to be as fast as even an i3-2100, let alone an old i7-920. And based on the results of an i3-2100 system that I submitted to the PPBM5 list, expect that G620 to be a snail in a herd of thoroughbreds, especially without a discrete Nvidia GPU-based graphics card.

In other words, the G620 is a waste of whatever little money it costs, when it comes to running big-league "prosumer" video editing software. The low end of the Intel line is the price point where a few dollars more gets you substantially higher performance in apps such as these. However, the G620 would be perfectly fine if you're doing nothing but standard-definition video work using a cheapo $100 consumer video editing software program such as Premiere Elements.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

ok, going to prolly go with an i5 2400 proc (6M Cache, 3.10GHz)
was able to config it to fit my budget.
put 4gb ram in it.

thanks again for replies!
-JS
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Major Player

With Premiere Pro, I'd recommend at least 8GB. 4GB just isn't enough RAM for CS5.5 (on a practical basis). And while hard drive prices have spiked upwards (some 1TB 7200 RPM desktop SATA drives now cost well over $100 compared to about $70 to $80 just one month ago), RAM prices remain relatively cheap (for now).
Randall Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite