CS5.5 vectorscope magnification not working? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 14th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CS5.5 vectorscope magnification not working?

I've been using a DSC 'Splash' color chart and the OnLocation vectorscope to calibrate the PMW-EX1R camera, and after producing some incredibly color-saturated images from the camera realized that the DSC charts are calibrated such that the vectorscope must double (2X) the color values in order to place them in the boxes. In the CS5.5 64 bit Premiere Pro vectorscope there is a function for magnification that should do this (right click on the vectorscope image, the pull down menu has 'magnification' as the bottom entry) - only the function is greyed-out.

I've done a ton of digging around the net over the weekend and found references to this magnification feature being added in CS3 - and nothing about what might be causing the function to be greyed-out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or perhaps know if the feature is not yet available in CS5.5 64 bit?

Thanks much.

- rob
Rob MacFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: CS5.5 vectorscope magnification not working?

Magnification is the zoom level of video in the window, not for waveform signals. Magnification works when selecting Composite or Alpha. It doesn't work for all the other selections which are scopes.

Maybe as a workaround you can use an effect to boost all the colors 2x. Cheers.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you much for the information. I've had a conversation with DSC Labs, and what I learned is they deal primarily with hardware-based vectorscopes that typically have a 2X gain control - making it simple to adjust the scope to properly utilize the chart. It appears that Adobe's OnLocation does not have that feature - making that tool less useful for calibrating camera colors in real time.

I ended up making a clear acetate overlay I can tape to my monitor, and I drew on the acetate a 1/2 scale vectorscope graticule (sounds fancier than it is), and am able to use my acetate overlay to calibrate the camera to the DSC chart. It's been a fun evening so far, and tomorrow night I hope to finish up the color calibration.

- rob
Rob MacFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Major Player

It is my understanding that the X2 function for the vector scope did exist in CS3, but it was removed in the later verions. I have no idea why, seems rather idiotic to remove a feature.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob MacFarlane View Post
Thank you much for the information. I've had a conversation with DSC Labs, and what I learned is they deal primarily with hardware-based vectorscopes that typically have a 2X gain control - making it simple to adjust the scope to properly utilize the chart. It appears that Adobe's OnLocation does not have that feature - making that tool less useful for calibrating camera colors in real time.

I ended up making a clear acetate overlay I can tape to my monitor, and I drew on the acetate a 1/2 scale vectorscope graticule (sounds fancier than it is), and am able to use my acetate overlay to calibrate the camera to the DSC chart. It's been a fun evening so far, and tomorrow night I hope to finish up the color calibration.

- rob
Nice solution! Cheers
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite