Exporting specs for broadcast: I need a lot of help. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting specs for broadcast: I need a lot of help.

Long story short: An indie music video I shot and edited is getting picked up by CMT's sister station, Pure Country. Exciting little moment for us – until I got the spec sheet from

I've gotten the spec sheet, and not only is it Greek to me, I don't really even know where to begin Googling for answers. So I thought I'd turn here. I'm going to list my big question marks, line-by-line, and if you know the answer to any of them, I'd be grateful if you passed the wisdom along. Many thanks.

1. "Stream Type: (For HD) XDCAM HD422 1080p30 CBR"

I'm not sure what this means. Codec? I have a XDCAM HD 1080p (35 VBR) codec. I also have Apple ProRes available for Premiere Pro. The XDCAM codec doesn't allow for the 50 Mbits/s required. (see below)

2. Video Bit Rate: 50Mbits/s

The only format I've found where I can manually slide the bit rate that high is mpeg 2 ... do I use this and then compress in QuickTime with the XDCAM codec?

3. Chroma: 4:2:2

I know I should know what this is by now. I don't. Where/how do I control this?

4. Audio Type: PCM Audio/SMPTE 302M

No idea on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

5. Audio Channel Assignments

Are audio channels just audio tracks? It asks for 8 channels. 1 and 2 are stereo left and right, respectively, channels 3-6 are muted, and 7 and 8 are stereo left and right again.

6. Max peak audio of -10dbFS

I think this one is easy, right? Since this is a music video, I just take the master track down to -10db? The "fs" throws me off –*it probably shouldn't, right?

7. Close Captioning is required for all final deliveries.

I think I can manage this one with more Googling, but any help here would be appreciated, as well.

8. Please include a slate. 5 seconds of slate. 2 seconds of black before video starts.

I'm assuming this means I need to put information like band name, song name, label, director name, etc. Does anyone know if a specific format is required? What information should be included?

9. HD Specific: Timecode: LTC data is read and stored in the MPEG user data as per SMPTE-328m.

Oh man, so incredibly lost on this one. I'll take any words of wisdom, here.

10. Closed Caption: Data conforming to EIA-708B / SMPTE-334M is read from the VANC of the uncompressed video and stored in the MPEG user data (SMPTE-328m).

Ditto. So lost.

Okay, that's a lot. If you know anything about pieces of these questions, please share. I'm trying to get in touch with an acquaintance who's had videos air on CMT, but she's notoriously hard to get ahold of. Many, many thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DMDS.BrdcstVideo.FileSpecs.pdf (43.0 KB, 1266 views)
David Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Exporting specs for broadcast: I need a lot of help.

I will get you started.

1) In AME, select MPEG2 MXF as Format and XDCAMHD 50 NTSC 30p as preset.
#2, 3 & 4 are handled by the above preset.

5) Yes.

6) dbFS means Decibels relative to full scale (ie., 0db). You need to set max peak to -10db.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Major Player

For Closed Captioning look here http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiere...aaba-7fff.html
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Steve, Jerry, this is great. I really appreciate it!
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey guys, sorry for the repost, but there are a few more questions here. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it:

8. Please include a slate. 5 seconds of slate. 2 seconds of black before video starts.

I'm assuming this means I need to put information like band name, song name, label, director name, etc. Does anyone know if a specific format is required? What information should be included?

9. HD Specific: Timecode: LTC data is read and stored in the MPEG user data as per SMPTE-328m.

Oh man, so incredibly lost on this one. I'll take any words of wisdom, here.

10. Closed Caption: Data conforming to EIA-708B / SMPTE-334M is read from the VANC of the uncompressed video and stored in the MPEG user data (SMPTE-328m).

Ditto. So lost.
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi David,

In my experience, the publishing station will help you with this. They normally have a production engineer or dir of eng you can call to get advice - the production department like your stuff and will be keen to help you package it to their requirements - nothing wrong in contacting them to ask for help.

Give my regards to Marc Repp at MTV/CMT Nash'

Good Luck

:)
Old December 25th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Major Player

If someone could answer the remaining questions it might be very helpful to several members. I would greatly appreciate it. Possible "sticky" material.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite