Nested Sequences Slow Down Premiere! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 4th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Nested Sequences Slow Down Premiere!

I was editing just fine until I decided to bring the master sequence into a "super master" sequence so I could crop the frame (just cropped, not zoomed). Unfortunately, after I did this the Premiere interface slowed down dramatically. Sometimes when I click on something I have to wait over a minute for my cursor to move again! It dramatically slows down the eidting process when you have to wait for a minute between almost every click! I tried closing the super master sequence but that didn't help. Only when I deleted it did things return to normal. I am able to repeat the problem. I have seen on forums that this is simply a problem with Premiere Pro. I was wondering if anyone has found any workarounds to maybe at least disconnect the nested sequence temporarily without having to delete it.

Thanks,

-Mike
Mike Shkolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Could you post some computer specs?

Could you also tell us how much footage you have on both sequences?

:)
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

WindowsXP, Pentium 4 3.2 (Prescott), 2 gigs RAM.

19 minutes of video in the timeline.
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike,
I too noticed this prob. The wait does not seem to be as long, only a couple seconds on switching sequences, still a bit of a pain though. No idea with the fix is, instead I revamped my workflow so I don't need to change sequences as often.

My project is a hours long on a 2.4ghz /w 2gig ram
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Major Player

I nest sequences all the time, sometimes two or three deep, and haven't had a problem. Actually, I do the exact same thing as you, with a "letterbox" sequence to preview what it will look like when I crop 16:9 down to 2.35:1 and such. No problems. This is on a P4 2.8GHz w/ 1GB RAM.

Perhaps the "standard" slowness fix is in order: deleted the "preview" and "conform" directories and loading the project up again?
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #6
Wrangler

I noticed this too. Things I tried that seemed to help were:
- to make sure that I had done a preview render in any clips within a nested (subordinate) sequence that had substantial effects applied
-and definitely I found that closing nested sequences that I wasn't actually working on sped up the master sequence. In other words, to work on the master, you don't need the nested sequences open, or displayed in the monitor window.

In my case, the time delay ranged from just barely noticeable to whatever it took do a fresh render on those high-demand effects, depending on circumstances.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #7
Trustee

I find it super-annoying that I've rendered the preview of a sequence in the sequence itself, yet when I drag it into another sequence, it feels the need to render it again. It's the same thing!! There are a multitude of other situations (I think you all could point out examples) where Premiere's selection of what needs to be rendered is sooo ineffecient.
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It really is a premiere issue that has no fix

I too have searched and searched for the answer to nested sequences and there many problems. It eather works on your computer or it does not. I personally can make the nested sequences work but once the project gets over 40 to 50 minutes long forget about it. There must be a coding problem that is wrong in premiere because the entire program just gets unstable in big projects. Use edius has been my answer, at least its stable.
Rob Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM   #9
Trustee

One thing you can check for is how you have the timelines displayed (set display style), it can make a difference if you have "show frames" vs. "show names only". All those 'croutons' have to be refreshed after the frames are read.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Are we talking Premiere 2.0 or 1.51

Is this 2.0 or 1.51 ?
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:20 AM   #11
Regular Crew

1.51. Premiere Pro 2.0 did not exist when I posted in September...
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

One thing you guys might want to check is if your virus program is running. I was having some "lagging" problems when working in Premiere 1.5 and I disabled my virus program and viola, it doesn't lag anymore.

Give this a try.

Eric
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I simply cant make movie to avi without prem pro stopping

I do not have virus protection on my pc as I was aware of the issue. I will try the timeline trick mentioned though, disabling the frames on timelines but most of all I have tried everything. I can render the 1hour and 30 minute weddign videos that I make but when it comes time to make movie to a avi the output of the avi stops before completion. I even had a technician who built my computer look at it and he said that it is a premiere problem. Can anyone else here make movie of a nested sequence that is over an hour long and with guaranteed success. Please, if you have anymore suggestions it would be great.
Rob Brookes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite