Re-Setting White Balance in Premiere Pro CS 5.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Re-Setting White Balance in Premiere Pro CS 5.5

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the white balance in post with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5? Thanks

Larry
Larry Kropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Re-Setting White Balance in Premiere Pro CS 5.5

Adobe Premiere Color Correction with Vectorscope - YouTube
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Additionally the Fast color corrector filter has a relatively quick "white balance" adjustment also if you don't need to much correction.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 * Fast Color Corrector effect

White Balance Assigns a white balance to an image using the Eyedropper tool to sample a target color in the image or anywhere on your monitor’s desktop. You can also click the color swatch to open the Adobe Color Picker and select a color to define the white balance.
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Allan and Oren thank you very much for the information. The links sure help me understand things much better. I've spent the last hour playing with the Fast Color Corrector just following along with my P.P. open and doing the same thing they were doing on on the You Tube video. Boy is this going to be a welcome addition to my video editing. Alan I like the idea of the quick white balance adjustment but I'm still not real clear on how to use or apply it. It's getting late so I will reivew the information in the link a bit later so I can understand that option better. It sounds quick and neat. I might have a few more questions when I'm done so if you both could please check back on this Thread I would appreicate it and thanks again for your time.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kropp; February 22nd, 2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Larry Kropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Larry. Imagine you shot a dance performance scene with your camera with some dancers that was a bit too yellow or too orange. You wanted to cool the temperature a bit. So with the "white balance" setting in the fast color corrector filter, you pointed the picker and hovered over one of the dancers' skin as a sample color for the color swatch. This quick adjustment will make the overall scene a bit cooler.
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Major Player

It would be nice if there was (or is and I just haven't found it yet) an effect with a temperatuur-slider and a magenta-green slider (which can be controlled numerically as well), just like in Camera-raw.
In that case you can control the relative colortemperature compared to the footage.
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Walter, an interesting idea. Larry, if you look at the vectorscope carefully, you'll see little boxes toward the outer ring that have letters in them [ R ] , [ Cy ], etc for the colors of the color bars signal. [ R ] = Red, [ Cy ] = Cyan (turqoise blue), etc. When working with balancing colors, if something is too green and you look to the direct opposite part of the wheel you see Mg for Magenta. So, you can cut down the Green -- or add Mg. But with only RGB color controls you add Mg by adding both Red and Blue.

I say this not because it's easy or quicker, but because its a good way to train you and your eyes to recognize how rgb colors work and combine to make up the coloration you see in a picture. Also, remember not only to see how 'white' is tinted but how the blacks are too. If you have an area of blacks in the image and you're using a color corrector that allows you to alter the black level via the pedestal/level controls, bring up the blacks to a medium gray and you can more easily see if they are 'tinted' or neutral.

Again, software can do all of this automatically for you most of the time. But it is always good to know what's going on if you need to fine tune.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'll try this when I get a bit of time. Thanks all for helping on this question.
Larry Kropp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite