Soft picture in DVD export - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Soft picture in DVD export

Thus, if one were to use Encore to author menu-based DVDs, then the only workaround to this would be to import a video file that had already been converted from upper field first to lower field first into Encore. The upper field first HD original may be converted to lower field first SD either by importing the video file into Premiere Pro and then exporting to lower field first SD (this will invoke the MPE GPU acceleration since scaling/resizing will be involved), or better yet using a third-party program or combination of third-party programs (such as the AVIsynth/VirtualDub/HD2SD script combination mentioned several times in these forums) to convert UFF HD to LFF SD. Otherwise, if a UFF file is imported into Encore directly, the wrong fields will be read, resulting in the soft images.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #17
Major Player

I filed a bugreport a while ago on this.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Weird, I have been using UFF SD files in Encore for quite some time and did not notice any problems with them, unlike exporting LFF SD DV files from Premiere from UFF HD source (note, it's not only HDV, but also XDCAM EX and any other UFF HD format).
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Major Player

Its not just HDV (which I use) but all kind of footage with UF.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #20
Major Player

I can also recommend Tmpeg. (Been using TMPEG 4.0 Xpress for a while now for HD to SD). I edit my footage in Sony Vegas, render to a Cineform master and then convert to SD in TMPEG. Nice consistent results.

Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
Weird, I have been using UFF SD files in Encore for quite some time and did not notice any problems with them, unlike exporting LFF SD DV files from Premiere from UFF HD source (note, it's not only HDV, but also XDCAM EX and any other UFF HD format).
Here is a test:

Try importing your UFF SD files into an Encore DVD project. Then, try to create a custom preset for your export format. Look at the video properties box. You'll find that the source field order has been flipped to LFF upon import - and there is absolutely no way at all whatsoever in Encore to re-interpret the field order as UFF. This means that Encore will basically read the wrong fields, resulting in the (very) soft (and often very blurry) images when the video is played back.
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #22
Major Player

This might be a bug only in displaying the correct field order, not in reading it or encoding. I don't seem to notice any problems after transcoding UFF SD file in Encore, as opposed to transcoding from UFF HD to LFF SD.

I have been using UFF SD files as a workaround to precisely this issue for over a year now. I am pretty familiar with the problem, and from my experience, there is no quality loss when encoding UFF SD files in Encore. The best way to see it is in a credit roll or in any motion graphics element. In my experience it works on both PC and Mac.

However, I'm talking about CS5, not CS5.5 here. CS5.5 might have introduced another bug that I'm not aware of.
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #23
Major Player

There are changes in Encore between the version which comes with Premiere CS5, and that with Premiere CS5.5, but I do not think this is one of them. I have never noticed this field order change, but I am in PAL land - could this be a factor here?

Also I do not use AME to create my DVD legal files, I use Procoder 3, which allows full control over all the parameters.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
This might be a bug only in displaying the correct field order, not in reading it or encoding. I don't seem to notice any problems after transcoding UFF SD file in Encore, as opposed to transcoding from UFF HD to LFF SD.

I have been using UFF SD files as a workaround to precisely this issue for over a year now. I am pretty familiar with the problem, and from my experience, there is no quality loss when encoding UFF SD files in Encore. The best way to see it is in a credit roll or in any motion graphics element. In my experience it works on both PC and Mac.

However, I'm talking about CS5, not CS5.5 here. CS5.5 might have introduced another bug that I'm not aware of.
I take back some of what I stated. The field flipping on import of all UFF SD material occurs primarily at NTSC resolutions and frame rates. This means that all 480-line 59.94 field-per-second UFF SD material gets flipped to LFF on import into Encore. (Though technically, NTSC has 486 lines, not 480 lines, and is UFF at that 486-line resolution. But when consumer video recorders came into existence, they had to cut off six of the lines (three from the top and three from the bottom), making it 480-line LFF.)

PAL, on the other hand, has a field refresh rate of 50 fields per second. Unless Dynamic Link messes that up, all PAL SD material is assumed to be UFF as far as Encore is concerned. This could, however, cause problems with PAL DV material as many PAL DV camcorders record LFF instead of UFF.
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #25
Major Player

It does not make any difference if its ntsc or pal, when using DL with upper field in the timeline, which is usually HD, or mpeg from dvd camera's or maybe Matrox still captures in upper? it flips the fields to lower.
If one encodes outside Encore its not an issue.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite