Adobe Cloud at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 29th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Adobe Cloud

I am interested in this new adobe cloud but I have a question. I have 2 desktops and a laptop. I need it on all three although I never use more than one at a time. Do I need to buy 3 licenses? Or is it still $50 a month? all I need is Premiere/ Encore & Photoshop.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Adobe Cloud

From what I've read the licence covers 2 machines, so you would need two licences or have to keep one machine de-authorised.
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Trustee

mmm... I could do that. Nice.$50 a month better than $1500
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Isn't dropbox cheaper?
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Isn't dropbox cheaper?
Absolutely...in the same way that a wheelbarrow is cheaper than a pickup truck. If you read up on what Adobe Cloud offers, it ain't just another Dropbox.

If you're an existing Adobe CS3 suite or later customer, the first year of Cloud is only $30/month. Not bad for Master Collection, new tablet apps, other new software like Muse and Edge and hopefully soon they'll add Lightroom, which would be a $149 upgrade on its own. Then there's the auto-synching and collaborative cloud environment, which by itself does things Dropbox doesn't.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Good point, I guess it comes down to cost/benefit. 2k in Adobe Software, it's kinda insulting that they don't at least include a year intro offer for free, especially for us Suite owners. Ofcourse, I'm a little jilted, both phone calls to Adobe support have been very unpleasant. lol
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Wrangler

Well, sure, "free" would be nice but after all, Adobe is a business with about 10,000 employees, so I don't think "free" is a reasonable expectation (well, except for products like Acrobat Reader). This is a major release, along with a whole new infrastructure to deliver a much-expanded set of products so I personally think the $30/month offer is a pretty great deal that would encourage folks to try Cloud.

Sorry you've had a bad experience with customer support. My only experience was very positive:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...ml#post1675504
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM   #8
Major Player

$30 per month is less than you would be paying for an upgrade from CS5.5 ($360 in a year vs $399 for upgrade).

I believe it is a great offer for startups.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Also do great deals for students! I live in the UK and I'm able to get it for £22/month ($29.99 on US adobe site).
Ben Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
$30 per month is less than you would be paying for an upgrade from CS5.5 ($360 in a year vs $399 for upgrade).

I believe it is a great offer for startups.
The $30/month is a great deal, but it's temporary. After that, it goes to $50/mo which is $600/year. The only thing good about the deal is that you get more tools, but the problem is that adobe has a large number of tools that I don't use, and probably never will.. so, having access to a bunch of tools I don't need is not a great deal...

My take is, it's an "okay" deal.. not a great deal, not a bad deal.. and, what about the more casual users that might want to kick out an initial cost and just use it for a few years? I know people using very old versions of photoshop to do lightweight stuff.. not everyone needs the latest tools all the time.. this does not accomodate those that are not always seeking to be on the leading edge of every tool.
Ed Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Henderson View Post
...and, what about the more casual users that might want to kick out an initial cost and just use it for a few years? I know people using very old versions of photoshop to do lightweight stuff.. not everyone needs the latest tools all the time.. this does not accomodate those that are not always seeking to be on the leading edge of every tool.
I'd agree it doesn't economically accommodate those casual users; Master Collection and Cloud probably aren't the right solutions for them. Certainly, I wouldn't buy a pickup truck if what I needed was a wheelbarrow. If you just need Photoshop, well, just get Photoshop. If you're a Production Premium user and that is still the best fitting product for your needs, get a traditional upgrade of Production Premium. (Or not, if the version you already have does everything you need, but skipping versions has historically resulted in fairly small savings over time: A Spring Surprise from Adobe: CS5.5 at DVInfo.net ).

I don't use every single app in MC but do use most of them. For us MC users, we can lock in $30/mo for the next year for not only MC but the additional offerings in Cloud...$600 has been the ballpark annualized cost for MC upgrades. For us, it's an excellent offer.
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Davies View Post
Also do great deals for students! I live in the UK and I'm able to get it for £22/month ($29.99 on US adobe site).
If the network goes down are you still able to edit using the applications locally?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #13
Wrangler

Obviously, you wouldn't have access to the Cloud if your network is down, but your local applications (PPro, etc) only need to touch your online Adobe account once a month to remain fully functional:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

(4th bullet on the FAQ page)
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Henderson View Post
The $30/month is a great deal, but it's temporary. After that, it goes to $50/mo which is $600/year. The only thing good about the deal is that you get more tools, but the problem is that adobe has a large number of tools that I don't use, and probably never will.. so, having access to a bunch of tools I don't need is not a great deal...

My take is, it's an "okay" deal.. not a great deal, not a bad deal.. and, what about the more casual users that might want to kick out an initial cost and just use it for a few years?
1. You need to factor in the lack of initial cost that you would have to cover if you bought the normal version. This cost, which in my opinion has been quite an entry barrier for many people, is mitigated. It's great if you want to start using the software and earn money immediately. Afterwards you can either buy the normal version or remain with the subscription. In my opinion this is a great offer to new users.

2. There used to be a subscription model for individual apps as well with CS5/CS5.5, and I'm not sure if it is no longer in effect.

Note, that you can still buy a normal version. You're not restricted to the subscription model.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Honestly, I think this is a fantastic deal. Personally, I only intend to use Premiere and After Effects, but they alone are worth the deal. It's so cheap that I'll do it for my home computer so I can take my work home, and I might not even bother getting my workplace to cover the cost of doing it.

The only downsides that I can see are that you need to bookkeep your savings account to make sure you always have sufficient funds, and that you need an Internet connection. (My workplace won't allow my work computer to be connected to the Net).

There goes the only advantage that FCP X/Motion ever had over Premiere/After Effects, as far as I'm concerned (low cost of purchase).

Richard
Richard Cavell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite