Editing on Laptop & Desktop- HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 8th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing on Laptop & Desktop- HELP!

Hey guys, I need help. I don't know how to post this or search for the answer. The challenge that I face is trying to edit the same project on my desktop and my laptop.

I capture everything via Premiere Pro 1.5 using my desktop into a external 200 Gig harddrive. I've been editing it using the desktop. But I want to be able to bring the external harddrive with my laptop to starbucks (or a dif coffee shop) to edit.

Everytime I go into Premiere Pro 1.5 on my laptop and go to the external harddrive and open the project...it doesn't let me.

What is going on? Can we not just open the project like that? What else do I need to do? What is the procedure.

Thanks in advance.
Jun Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Do you get an error message? Or some other message? What exactly does
"doesn't let me" mean?

You should have no problem moving a project over from one computer to
another. The tricky part is can it find your footage. If not then (at least that
is what Vegas does) it should ask where the footage is so you can help
locate it.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Rob,
Thanks for helping. Here is more info. I install Premiere on the C Drive. However, When I capture I place the avi files and the project file in the External Hard drive "G". Basically the footage and the project files are both on the portable drive. I save the project file as "Rough Cut". When I unplug the external drive from the desktop and connect it to my laptop, I change all my Scratch disk settings to the External Drive too...except the computer read it as drive "E". I don't think that makes a difference.

When I open project on the laptop, I go to the folder where I have "Rough Cut", when I click on it it says " E:\Immi Writer\Rough Cut is not accessible. Access is denied"

Is there a step that I miss besides changing the scratch disk?

Thanks again in advance guys.
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Hmmm.

Did you try keeping the drive letter the same? So the external drive is the same drive letter on the desktop as it is on the laptop?

You can do this in your windows settings.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How do I change the disk letter from G to E? I know how to rename the disk.

thanks again
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #6
Major Player

changing drive letters...

Okay...assuming Windows XP.

Start--------->Control Panel
Then click "Administrative Tools"
Then Click "Computer Management"

In the left frame of the window towards the bottom there should be a line that says "Disk Management"

When you click this, in the top-half of the right frame should be all of your drives. It will say:

Volume Layout Type File System
C: Partition Basic NTFS

etc etc.

Right-click on the drive whose letter you want to change. It will open yet another window, that has three buttons, Add, Change, Remove.

You'll want to click "Change" and then it will open yet ANOTHER window, and in the top-right of that window there is a pull-down menu with a bunch of drive letters that are available. You can pick any letter that isn't currently used.

Hope this helps...

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeremiah,
change the drive to the same letter and name. Yet to no avail. I'm going to experiment. I'll post if I learn anything.

thanks again....even anyone know....please help
Old September 10th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi, I've occasionaly used my laptop for editing and as long as the drive letters are the same to the captured files then it works ok for me.

I got a question though... when you say it doesn't let you open the project, do you mean that it won't open the .prproj file at all or that it can't find any of the source files?

Even if the drive letters are different you should still be able to open the .prproj file, it just won't be linked to the source capture files.

... one more thing, are you running premiere pro 1.5 on the laptop for sure?
Sean Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

So you edit with a destop and laptop? If so, where are the captured file located? laptop or desktop?

Did you have to edit any Offline? Or did you recapture again on the laptop too.

It says I can't even open the folder where the project file is. So I copy and paste the project out of the folder so I don't have to open the folder. I did that in the desktop. I can open the project folder on the desktop...NOT the laptop.
Old September 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Tang
When I open project on the laptop, I go to the folder where I have "Rough Cut", when I click on it it says " E:\Immi Writer\Rough Cut is not accessible. Access is denied"
Take a look at this Microsoft Knowledgebase article, "'Access is Denied' Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder", http://support.microsoft.com/Default...810881&sd=RMVP. Perhaps it will help.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bouchard
Even if the drive letters are different you should still be able to open the .prproj file, it just won't be linked to the source capture files.
Since both his project file and assets are on the external hard drive (according to his second post), wouldn't they still be linked no matter what the drive letter is? Doesn't Premiere Pro use relative links so long as the project file and assets are on the same hard drive?
Old September 11th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Christopher,
thanks for the link. I tried and it didn't work. Yes, they are both on "G" drive. what happen was when I accidently click an avi file from one folder and drag to another folder (both still in drive "G") it did something that made the file unreadable. neither can i open with windows media or pp1.5.
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Tang
thanks for the link. I tried and it didn't work.
Sorry about that. Try this link for the article: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810881
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
Since both his project file and assets are on the external hard drive (according to his second post), wouldn't they still be linked no matter what the drive letter is? Doesn't Premiere Pro use relative links so long as the project file and assets are on the same hard drive?
Unfortunately, no. Premiere Pro looks for the drive letter, instead of the folder categorization.
Old September 11th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hey Christopher,
I mean the link work. but fixing the problem it did not as yoda would say.
Jun Tang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite