Warp Stabilizer in CS6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 16th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #1
Trustee

Warp Stabilizer in CS6

I have been experimenting with the Warp Stabilizer in CS6 and I am amazed at the quality of the final render. It is very easy to use and you have several stabilizing options including Smooth Motion from 1 to 100% and No Motion. The sample I have posted below has No Motion. The same section of footage was used on both samples. The shot is hand held at full zoom on a Sony EX3 in low evening light.

Sorry it is a short clip, I am testing out some new render settings for publishing on the web

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; June 16th, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Warp Stabilizer in CS6

I am also VERY impressed with the Warp Stabiliser (in my case currently in CS 5.5.2 so via Dynamic Link as it lives in After Effects in the previous version of Adobe). I've done quite a bit of experimenting with the various settings and it can turn some not too good handheld footage into something that looks like it was shot on a tripod.

Two examples here. The first was the original film after a very quick edit. It's all hand-held on a TM900, and a lot of shots were at 20x zoom.

The second is a better edit, but crucially for this discussion, you will see many of the shots used in the first film but these have now been Warp Stabilised.

This was done using a variety of techniques, some No Motion, some with Smooth Motion, with tweaking of all the various settings and options until I got each shot as best I could (regarding stability). I like the way that once it has analysed the clip (usually a little time consuming) you can then quickly try the different settings to see which one works best much more quickly. There were about 80 clips stabilised this way and I have to say I'm very impressed at what it can do! Certainly seems to be better than the Smoothcam that I used to use in Final Cut.

I will say I had a problem with loss of the Dynamic Linking about 90% into this second edit (which caused me a lot of head scratching and worry to recover the project!!!) but this I managed to do, as you can see. It may be that this would be (another) strong benefit of CS6 over 5.5.2 as the Warp Stabiliser is now available directly from within Premier Pro, not needing After Effects linking.

Original Hand Held Footage/Rough Edit:

Re-edited Highlights (with Warp Stabiliser on most clips):

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; June 16th, 2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: typo
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes, the addition of Warp Stabilizer in Premiere CS6 is a real bonus, I don't like swapping between two interfaces when I am in mid flow of a project. I have tried several other stabilizer plug ins but none have delivered such good usable shots as the Adobe Warp Stabilizer.

Looks like you had a better vantage point for the Jubilee Pageant that I had, in fact I didn't even manage to see the Thames, let alone shoot any footage. I am green with envy, and my family were also disappointed not to see the boats.

Nice one Andy.

ps.How do you embed the video files as per your post, I can only seem to post the URL
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Vincent, I just post the URL and DVinfo does it automatically (for both YouTube and Vimeo). Of course, you (or the owner) of the video must have enabled the Embedding option when the video is configured on YouTube or Vimeo during or after uploading (you can change these options at any time after uploading, in case you did not know).

Maybe that's what you are missing?

Go into the YouTube Edit options and then Advanced Settings and you will find it. Screen grab example below to help - it is just right of the middle. It's a similar affair with Vimeo's settings.

I also wrote a much more involved 5 page summary document about YouTube embedding tips which is available as a free PDF download from my website for those that might find it useful. As always with Google/YouTube, they keep upgrading (i.e. changing) the layout of these things as indeed they did as soon as I wrote this document! However, the steps and tips are essentially the same, even if the screen grabs are slightly different to what you now see when setting up a video on YouTube:

http://www.shootingimage.co.uk/MoreI...EmbedTips.html

Hope all this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Warp Stabilizer in CS6-youtube-options.png  
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Andy, I do have the Embedded option ticked just as in your screen shot, it is ticked with all my clips but no preview.

Do you post the Video URL or the full Http code?
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Ah, I had to think about this bit as I've been doing all these things with my brain "on automatic" for a while!

It is actually the full http link that I copy and paste into the DVInfo text posting box (i.e. it must include http: etc. at the start, not just start with www. etc)
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Trustee

My brain has died today, I still can't get it to work. Followed your excellent PDF instructions and just get the full code as you can see in my post.
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Vincent, those embed tips in my PDF will work on most "normal" websites (i.e. like our own ones) but you don't need to use any embed code here on DVInfo.

On DVinfo, Chris H set it up so it should just need the full web address of the video link (starting with http:) and then it will do the embedding "for you automatically" (i.e. you don't need to use the embed code YouTube can generate at all). This was all rolled out about a year or two ago (I think) for just Vimeo - but more recently I found it now works for YouTube too :-)

I'm also linking you to an older thread where this is explained (including input by Chris H) as maybe that will help you figure it out. Remember, unlike back then in 2010, it now works for YouTube too. I'm sure it'll all become clear at some point!!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-...info-post.html

EDIT: Just trying it to see if I can get your video to embed by doing what I normally do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1aQ-...ature=youtu.be

...As and you can see, I can't. Therefore I suspect it must be something with your YouTube settings??? Odd!
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Trustee

Andy thank you for your patience, I am following the instructions to the letter and still not getting there. I will continue to experiment, only another 999 permutations to try.
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Also, here is an alternate view of the YouTube options. Just make sure your YouTube video has the same boxes checked as mine and I assume (!!!) it should work...Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Warp Stabilizer in CS6-youtubeoptions-alternative-view-.png  
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #11
Trustee

All my settings are the same as yours with the exception that I allow automatic responses. In theory everything should work, but as we all know theory and actual practice are two different things.

Don't waste anymore of your time Andy, I am sure I will figure this out at some stage. But thank you very much for taking the time, I owe you a beer next time I am in Cambridge.
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Trustee

Eureka Andy, the bit I missed was to use the long URL link. Thanks you for all your help
Attached Thumbnails
Warp Stabilizer in CS6-youtube.jpg  
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Major Player

To return to the original subject of the new Premiere Warp Stabiliser, I have made much use of it over the past couple of days.

I have come to the conclusion that it is inferior to Mercalli unless the subject is static and there is little camera movement. It introduced some quite amazing "jello" effects on one or two clips where the original was pretty stable, but there was moving water in the shot.

If only Mercalli could benefit from the Premiere acceleration.........
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #14
Trustee

Sorry Alan, I did go off topic with this thread.

I also have Mercali and used it on several clips but the results were nowhere near the same as the Adobe Warp Stabilizer. As you can see from the short sample, the footage is rock solid with the Warp Stabilizer applied, I haven't noticed any jello effect on any clips (yet).

I will post a more detailed overview asap, I was just testing out a few things with uploading this video.
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I have been using Warp Stabalizer a lot lately as well, and can't go on enough about how much it has helped me. I was using a 20x lens outside on a windy day, and even though it seemed pretty stable during the shoot, when I previewed it a lot of the footage was almost unusable. And having it in Premiere has saved hours of work for me, not having to fight with Dynamic Link. Thanks Adobe!

ps: The problem with the youtube video was the "&feature=youtu.be" in the url. Use just the basic url, which you can get by hitting the Like or Share buttons for the video. :)
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite