Backup solutions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Backup solutions?

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate forum to post this in, but I couldn't find a better one, so here goes...

I need to create a new backup solution for my audio and video computers.

I've got a Drobo, but my software has failed on me- I had a custom script designed that was really simple- It copied everything over from my audio and video drives (2 different computers) to the Drobo. There was a comparison done between the two and if something was missing from the audio/video drive, it moved the corresponding file on the Drobo to a "trash" folder where I could manually trash it.

This originally saved my butt when a drive crashed and the next sync moved everything to the trash folder whereas a traditional sync would have deleted the data.

Are there any commercial programs that I can set up to do a similar process? There are lots that will do a full drive image and lots that will sync, but I haven't seen much about sync with options to avoid data loss in a catastrophic event. We're talking multiple terabytes of data here - I could use some help. Thoughts?

--Ben

Last edited by Benjamin Maas; July 24th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Benjamin Maas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Backup solutions?

I think Dantz Retrospect will do what you need. I haven't used it in quite a while, but you can set it up with scripts to determine your own rules for copying data. I'm sure it's not the only software that fits the bill, but it's at least worth investigating.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Maas View Post
I need to create a new backup solution for my audio and video computers.
A multilevel incremental backup scheme allows one to restore files that were damaged or deleted years ago with year level accuracy, files from months ago with month level accuracy, files from weeks ago with week level accuracy and files which were damaged or lost in the last week with day level accuracy. The Unix dump command has performed this kind of backup since the 70's. Look for software that supports multiple backup levels modeled after the Unix dump command. In Windows and OS/X this is sometimes called time capsule style backup.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Major Player

You don't mention which OS you are using, but if it's Windows, I really love SyncBackPro. Been using it for several years and very satisfied. Doesn't necessarily have every single feature that you may be looking for, but very powerful and customizable, so it's definitely worth taking a look.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Appologies... I thought I had listed an OS.

Working with Windows 7-64 on all of my computers here.

--Ben

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite