Anyone refuse to switch to Premire Pro CS 6.0 because of interface? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone refuse to switch to Premire Pro CS 6.0 because of interface?

Does anyone refuse to switch to Premire Pro CS 6.0 because they hate the new interface?
I am trying to use CS6 but I feel like just using CS 5.5 I could do a project a lot faster on CS5.5 since that's what I am used to.

Any suggestions, should I use cs5.5 on projects I want to get complete fast, and use CS6 for personal projects until I get used to the new interface.

Has anyone switched back to cs5 or earlier just because you could complete the project faster?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Anyone refuse to switch to Premire Pro CS 6.0 because of interface?

My experience was just the opposite; I immediately found that I could edit much faster and just quit using 5.5 altogether, even the projects I was in the middle of. But even if you like the 5.5 interface better, there's no need to give up the new features and under-the-hood improvements of CS6. Quoted directly from the Help file:

To return to the standard editing workspace found in Premiere Pro CS5.5 and earlier, choose Window > Workspace > Editing (CS5.5)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Major Player

yea I really dont want to go back because there is always improvements with new versions under the hood. and I know about changing the layout to cs5 however that does not bring back the shuttle wheel thing,

Are the actual shuttle wheels helpful? the kind you plug into USB?

like this Videoguys.com - Contour Design ShuttleXpress (Black)
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yeah, I'm afraid that the jog-shuttle wheel widget is gone -- and incidentally the current Help file (which lacks version/date annotation and page numbers, and mixes v5 and v6 info...I hate that...if I'm running CS6 I don't need old info cluttering up the Help!) still describes it, without mentioning it is v5.5 and earlier only. I directly asked an Adobe engineer about it a couple months ago and the reply was basically that they felt it was outdated and people should be using JKL. Well, I'll agree that JKL editing really is better and faster than a mouse-controlled jog-shuttle control, but the fact is that if I already have my hand on the mouse, I'd still like to have that widget handy, just as I always previously did.

I think this is one of those circumstances like the previous version of Audition in which Adobe folks made a pretty big judgment error in not having red book CD burning. The claim was they didn't bother because they thought CDs were too retro (although one wonders if it just didn't make the "cut" as deadlines for release loomed) -- until in the face of a loud outcry they did add it back in CS6. Unfortunately, I doubt enough of us will put in feature requests for the return of the jog-shuttle control to make it happen.

As far as third party hardware jog-shuttle controllers, I don't have any experience.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Was that Return to CS5.5 Workspace added in an update? I do not recall seeing it there when I first got CS6. I will be switching back now, as I too do not like the new interface. I am a mouse user and still have trouble with many of the keyboard shortcuts.

That is also why I bought a Contour Design jog/shuttle and I love it. I don't know how I ever worked without it.
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Trustee

Slightly off topic as I didn't use CS5 and 5.5 very long (FCP convert!)
I never got the hang of those two and it really worried me as I needed to move from FCP7 which I was very comfy in.
CS6 works perfectly for me and the interface is just like my old friend but the speed and efficiency is through the roof with CS6.

Sorry to the long time users of PP but it seems they may have changed a few things to reel in all of us FCP customers...and it has! My entire circle of editors, and producers has switched to CS6!
Old August 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have that Contour Design Shuttle and it works just fine.

But I'm a "mouse" guy so I actually don't use it too much.

Frank
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
My experience was just the opposite; I immediately found that I could edit much faster and just quit using 5.5 altogether, even the projects I was in the middle of. But even if you like the 5.5 interface better, there's no need to give up the new features and under-the-hood improvements of CS6. Quoted directly from the Help file:

To return to the standard editing workspace found in Premiere Pro CS5.5 and earlier, choose Window > Workspace > Editing (CS5.5)
What Pete said. I found cs6 to be easier to use and faster. CS6 is a nice upgrade for me.

That said, if you don't like it, you don't like it. No shame in that. Find a tool you don't fight or you'll spend all your time grousing about your tools when you should be focused on the work.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite