can I continue to edit once sequence is sent to Media Encoder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

can I continue to edit once sequence is sent to Media Encoder?

In Premiere CS6, I'm looking to export multiple versions of my sequence both with audio using various processes and unprocessed. Once I send a sequence to media encoder, can I continue to edit that sequence without affecting the state of the sequence that I just sent to media encoder (this is all before the encoding starts- I'm assuming once the process begins, it gathers all the info it needs together).

Or, do I have to send one version to encoder and wait for that encoding to begin before making edits to the sequence to make a different version?
Denez McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: can I continue to edit once sequence is sent to Media Encoder?

... as an update, I just noticed that closing a project in Premiere that is currently encoding in Media Encoder, is ok, but then opening a new project in Premiere, causes Media Encoder to crash.

This is a bit of a bottle neck.
Denez McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Trustee

I'd be more inclined to make a copy of a sequence and carry out further edits on it, keeping the original just in case. Or nest the original sequence in a new one, and apply effects etc. if they're simple.

It shouldn't crash though. AFAIK, Premiere takes a copy of the project and saves it in your temporary files folder (or whatever the Mac equivalent is). As long as you don't actually change or delete source files it shouldn't crash or complain.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denez McAdoo View Post
...Once I send a sequence to media encoder, can I continue to edit that sequence without affecting the state of the sequence that I just sent to media encoder (this is all before the encoding starts...

Or, do I have to send one version to encoder and wait for that encoding to begin before making edits to the sequence to make a different version?
I don't think you can do that. I'd follow Mike's suggestion and make iterations of your sequences - there's no overhead with that.

Regarding the crash - you might want to take it up in Adobe's forum and support.
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Major Player

You can edit without affecting what's getting encoded. Premiere creates a temporary project file and uses it to guide Encoder, which allows you to work in your current project.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite