CS6 Premiere Pro choking on mundane stuff - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: CS6 Premiere Pro choking on mundane stuff

Hate to do this, but I must walk this one back. I am still experiencing considerable issues trying to play back simple single track videos from the timeline of Premiere Pro CS6. Video still freezes up, while audio plays just fine. Have now gone back to using CS5.5, which so far has been very fast and reliable.
I only had success editing a single project on CS6. Most stuff it just cannot handle on my system, (Intel i7 990 Extreme 3.46 Ghz, 24Gb DDR3 ram, Nividia GTX 580, 2TB 7,200rpm 64MB cashe, Sata drive C that is only 25% full, and G-RAID 4TB Raid 0 drives for project files) so it just is not useable at any level.
Had Adobe on the phone looking at my machine via Abobe Connect, they could not figure it out. I currently have HP (my computer is an HP) looking at it and they volunteered to contact Adobe and try and figure it out).

I did note, that the issues I am seeing look as though maybe my C drive is not fast enough, although it really only has my operating system and applications on it, and about 90GB's of .PRV files that I mistakenly allowed to be sent there. So it is using 500GB's out of 2TB's. CS5.5 just flies with this set-up, but CS6 seems to be much more resource intensive.

So I have been wondering-is it really necessary to use an SSD for my system drive? Would that solve the problem? Seems a lot of testers who praise CS6 have SSD's or 10,000 rpm drives, not the 7,200 rpm that I have used with great success for every previous version of Premiere Pro.

I would do it, if switching to a SSD would solve the problem. I really, really want to get CS6 working.

Last edited by Steve Wolla; November 4th, 2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #17
Trustee

Steve,

The problem you have is that you have only two volumes, the boot disk and the G-Raid over eSATA..

Now, depending on how you tuned your system, this setup may be hampered by the fact that you still have indexing and/or compression on on both volumes, you may not have removed the sidebar, turned off Aero, or uninstalled stuff like MSN and the like. Maybe you have installed iTunes and QuirckTime. I don't know. but that kind of things I would look at. Then disable or remove background services and processes that are not needed, things like mDNSResponder.exe, jusched.exe, and similar.

I responded on the other thread about the SSD, so no need to repeat it here.

Basically you are travelling on a two lane highway and if there is much traffic (services, processes) this will cause delays. If you can't afford to expand the highway to three or more lanes (volumes), then you need to get some traffic off the highway (remove services and processes) in order to avoid traffic jams and increase your speed.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Major Player

Harm, are you sure this is his main problem?

For some reason CS5.5 seems to work fine on Steve's system, and CS6 doesn't. I think the problem must be in a different place than hardware. My bet is on the Mercury Transport Engine that for some reason conflicts with past components or hardware.

Steve, have you tried doing a clean install of Windows and installing CS6 on a computer without other software installed?
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
I am still experiencing considerable issues trying to play back simple single track videos from the timeline of Premiere Pro CS6. Video still freezes up, while audio plays just fine.
I m guessing it was DSLR footage, cuz i see the same, and I do have dedicated SSD drive for the footage, but at the same time i cut 4K R3Ds on the same system with no any problems , i don't get it :)
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #20
Major Player

No I am shooting AVCHD with my old Panasonic HMC150 + an AC160.

Have not yet tried installing CS6 on a system with nothing else on it, perhaps tyhat is worth a go.

Went to the reateshere video expo in Burbank today because Adobe was there. I got to talk with their technical rep, Mitch. Wasn't sure what it could be. He asked me to send him a clip via Dropbox. He did say that it should not be a hardware issue, that he thought my system as described should be stout enough.
But I do see that a lot of the testers and those who praise CS6 use either SSD's, or 10,000 rpm drives and try somewhat to separate functions on drives, like Harm was describing. It is just that for me at least, none of that was necessary in order to successfully run CS5.5. I am not sure what exactly Adobe did, if anything, to make CS6 so much more demanding of system resources.

Mitch from Adobe thought that the two should be substantially similar in how demanding they are on system resources such as drives and configuration.

I also got a call from Adobe at the office while I was taliking with Mitch, so I will follow that up with a call back in the A.M.
Thanks to all for your continued input. MY IT guy will be out 'til Saturday, tyhen we will look at doing this stuff.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Major Player

To all those that said to "clean' the cache THANK YOU!!. My C drive just dropped 90gb of unwanted files. I've re-directed new projects cache to my 2TB data storage drive and all is well with the world.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #22
Major Player

Harm, when I try to disable hibernate - it tells me I do not have the authority.
I notice this with a few other files as well - how do I become "authorised" - I am the only user.
Thx
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
But I do see that a lot of the testers and those who praise CS6 use either SSD's, or 10,000 rpm drives and try somewhat to separate functions on drives, like Harm was describing. It is just that for me at least, none of that was necessary in order to successfully run CS5.5. I am not sure what exactly Adobe did, if anything, to make CS6 so much more demanding of system resources.
I am using a 2-3 year old Dell Studio XPS, Win 7, i7, 24 GB RAM, nVidea Quadro 3800 GPU.
All of my drives are SATA 7200- one drive for system & software, a 2 drive RAID 0 for media, a USB 3 drive for project files, previews, renders, etc.
CS 5.5 ran very smoothly while editing in native formats and DI formats, as well as for complex and long form projects.
I am using CS6 currently (CS5.5 is still installed) and am having the same experience- it is smooth sailing so far. This includes new AVCHD and Cineform projects, as well as importing and converting prior CS5.5 projects to CS 6. I am not really seeing any suggestion that CS6 is more demanding or less stable than CS 5.5
IMO the sort of dramatic problems you describe are way out of profile with what would be the expected performance of CS6 on your system.
I'm skeptical that changing one of your drives to SSD will make any difference at all.
It sounds like the main problem is failure of avchd video playback from the timeline.
For me, the fact that it does play normally on CS5.5 rules out any basic hardware problems like disk drives.
You might double check your GPU for CS6 compatibility, make sure the latest drivers are installed properly, etc.
This leaves challenging issues like software conflicts, etc.
At the end of the day, a clean install of everything (including tthe OS) may be the last resort.
IMO, CS6 should run well on machines that can run CS5.5 well
Good luck

Last edited by Robert Young; November 8th, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #24
Trustee

Chris,

You have to open CMD.exe as administrator.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Harm,
I downloaded Treesize trial and it looks pretty complicated! Does the pro version come with instructions? Hard to tell which files I need to delete and how to delete them. I have 21 gig left on my 300 gig HD. Any idea how to use this software?
Thanks!
Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #26
Trustee

My understanding, the main purpose of Treesize Free is just to show you all the folders in the selected drive, and tell you how large they and each of their subfolders are.
You can thus use TreeSize to discover folders that are way bigger than you think they should be (like maybe a previously unknown media cache file with 30 GB of useless stuff in it).
That's the end of TreeSize's job.
It's up to you to then use those clues to pinpoint, examine, identify, & make decisions about those folders and their contents.
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Bob,
I think you are right. It shows all my files and how large they are. I don't have enough knowledge to know which ones I need to delete/move. I got rid of my PPV files but the drive is still full. I haven't learned how to direct these files and others I don't need on my operating system drive to my 3 other 2T drives in preferences. ( I remember a thread on that a few years ago when I wasn't concerned) all I have on that drive are Abobe CS5 and Digital Juice files, no virus mgt, office etc and the 300 gig is full. I'll keep doing sme checking.

Thanks
Art
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #28
Trustee

Art,

I have TreeSize Pro, but honestly I have never tried to find documentation, it is all pretty intuitive to me. It is used to show where obvious files are located that occupy space that should not be there. Because of your question, I looked at it again and found a temp directory with a 485 MB video file where it should not be. Since I knew I had that same file on another disk, I deleted that whole directory with TreeSize, but it could just as easily be deleted from Explorer.

All these utilities have their own place. Take for instance BeyondCompare, it is great to get files from one (10 TB) raid to another (18 TB raid), by only comparing say drive E on the local machine to \\machine_name\$drive and then copying to either left or right or synchronizing both directories. It beats copying to a file-server first and them moving to the local directory.
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I think now I just need to know which files I can delete. I just go rid of my CFA files and saved 20 gig. Anyone tell me if I'm all done with the projects a few years ago and no longer need them, Can I get rid of my LRPREV, CASHE,PRMDC, MPGIDEX, and PI-EPR temp files? I could save a lot if I can just delete them. the PI-EPR files are 40 KB a pop and there are about 2 million of them!

Art
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
No I am shooting AVCHD with my old Panasonic HMC150 + an AC160.
I've had an fs100 that recorded avchd and had a helluva time editing that codec. It taxes the system like crazy. It would act wonky with audio syncing which would disappear if I deleted the timeline then hit ctrl-z. I finally upgraded to the F3 an xdcam works like a charm. Don't know what it is about avchd, but it sucks in premiere. Just my experience.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite