Nesting Sequences in Adobe Premiere, Quality issue? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 14th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Nesting Sequences in Adobe Premiere, Quality issue?

Hi,
I created a Sequence in XDCAM EX (by mistake) instead than XDCAM 422....
I then worked with this sequenze, nesting it in another, cutting, editing, then nesting the second into another etc.... Up to 4 levels.... After I realised I had the settings wrong (I want full 1920 not 1440)... What is the easiest and fastest way to go back?

1) If I nest all in a 1920 sequence will Premiere consider for the final rendering quality my last (highest) sequence (has After Effects does for compositions) or will I still get a 1440 render quality because all the nested sequences are 1440 even if the rendered one is 1920 ?

2) Is there a way to change the settings of a sequence (choosing SETTINGS will not let me change them)

3) If 1 and 2 are not possible... what do you suggest? Re-editing the second to lowest sequence (the one that contains all the cuts) is not possible.. would take ages to re-edit again copying the first edit

Any other ideas?
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Nesting Sequences in Adobe Premiere, Quality issue?

I think this might work. Try this, Create a sequence with the correct settings. Copy the old sequence to the new sequence. Select each clip and use “ Replace with clip” from bin. Assuming you have the clips in the bin. This might get tiresome if you have a lot of clips.
Scott Elkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Major Player

That is the point.. Is a 1h tv show eith cuts every 4-5 seconds.
And the cuts are on a multicamera track.

I assume if you offered a solution for 3 you think that 1 and 2 are not true... There is a quality loss
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #4
New Boot

Would it be possible to export the XML of the original cuts then reimport to a new sequence with the correct settings?
Kenyon Gerbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm certainly not an expert. I'm pretty sure you can't change the basic settings of a sequence after it has been created. But you can make a new sequence with the "correct" settings. Then, copy and paste from your old sequence to your new sequence. I've done this and know it works.

The question is, can you do it the second time (for the first level down nested sequence) and have it maintain it's ties to the top level sequence? IDK. What if you did something like this -- make the new second level sequence, then nest from the new top level sequence into this new second level sequence. Then, copy from the old second level sequence and paste over the top of the new second level sequence. This would perhaps establish the nesting between the top level and second level sequences, while maintaining the edits from the old second level sequence. Again, IDK. The only way to find out is to do some testing.

Also, ask on the Adobe Premiere Pro forums. There are some serious experts there.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Sure... creating a new sequence and copying works.. but you can only copy from what exists allready.. that is the old lowres sequenze. I've tried to think in various ways but I don't seem to find a way of avoiding doing copy-re-editing
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite