Map Stereo Audio Track to Mono in Timeline? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Map Stereo Audio Track to Mono in Timeline?

Hi all,

I've been handed a short video that's been cut in Premiere CS6. I noticed that the dialogue for the interviews in this cut are in stereo, and I'd like to make them mono. How can I map the Stereo recordings so that they play in Mono in the timeline instead?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Map Stereo Audio Track to Mono in Timeline?

I think this is best done in Audition, edit > convert sample type > mono and select the percent of each channel to mix. You can break out stereo to two mono tracks ( L and R) in PPro, but I don't think that's what you were after...you can send the audio to Audition direct from PPro...this assumes, of course, that you have Audition.

However, you can create a new sequence and in the tracks tab change your master and audio 1,2,3 etc tracks to mono. The waveforms still look like stereo but the audio meter shows a mono output. I didn't find a reference to this so it may just be a workaround.

The clip shows as mono in the audio mixer, but if you click the audio clip and open it in the effects control, you can apparently still adjust the l and r channels gain there for balance. Again, I don't find this documented anywhere, so give it a try and see if it works for you.

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; November 29th, 2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite