export settings for youtube with CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 8th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Major Player

export settings for youtube with CS5

With CS5 premiere pro I can't find Adobe media encoder. It seems to have vanished. When I try to encode a video suitable for YouTube I can only use main concept. With this I have tried MPEG2Blu-ray. Mpeg 4. H264. and youtube will not accept any of the attempted uploads. I have uploaded HDV videos before to youtube by using the Adobe encoder and selecting for YouTube. Now it seems I can only get YouTube to accept the HDV video by checking the box to use settings as in the source. BUT it takes 6 hours. Any help will be appreciated, especially how to find the Adobe Media encoder.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: export settings for youtube with CS5

Assuming you are on a PC, it should be in program files>adobe>adobe media encoder cs5>adobe media encoder.exe
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Well yes AME uses mainconcept.
Select H.264 with a Youtube preset or a HDTV preset.
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't know how it is in CS5, but in CS6 if you just hit "media >export" you get a window that is different from the full-monty AME. If you click on the "queue" option AME itself opens with a more complex window. Maybe that's why you aren't seeing it?
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys for your input. I have managed to find AME as a standalone programme. Now when I click Export>media I do get an extended list of presets and it does include YouTube widescreen HD and SD.Wether that is part of AME I don't know, as it doesn't mention AME. However I am in the UK and as such use the TV standard PAL. When I first open the media export panel everything is geared to NTSC at 24 FPS> When I select PAL and the preset "YOUTUBE WIDESCREEN HD" along with H260. everything changes back to NTSC so I can't use the system to upload my HD videos. Any help how to resolve this will be much appreciated.
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes it is part of AME.

Just change the settings to PAL in the Video Tab or use a HDTV preset (its the same, and ready made)

For the YT setting if you want 1920x1080 raise the Profile and Level first.
Attached Thumbnails
export settings for youtube with CS5-youtube-hd-pal.png  
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Ann, I will follow your instructions and see what happens. I have already done a short 1minute test using the presets you mention and it worked. This is the first time I have uploaded with CS5 as previously I used Vegas pro 10. For me it's a new learning curve while using CS5. I am a bit taken abck to find that encoding a 10 minute video is going to take over three hours. I thought H264 was quick. Possibly it's only quick when encoding for a DVD. Thanks again for your help. BTW. I couldn't read the settings in the panel you posted.
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Major Player

The screendump looks fine on my screen (1920x1080)
Make sure to check Use Maximum Render Quality
and do not use Preview Files.
Get yourself a certified videocard to take advantage of MPE hardware.
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks again Ann. Unfortunately I have already started an encoding, It's been going for an hour and I didn't check the "use maximum render quality" but I'll use it next time. I probally couldn't read your thumbnail because I have an old video card in an old PC for emails etc. Tomorrow I'll read it on my other PC which has a more modern Video card which is used for HD editing. I think the AME is great as I can see the progress of the encoding on the small screen. Cheers.
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #10
Trustee

What Ann said about the proper nVidia card, which enables hardware encoding using the gpu. A current-generation cpu and a fast nVidia card work wonders.

Example: Recently I wanted to use AME to make an mpeg out of a 3 1/2 minute avi file. On my CS4 desktop (pre-Mercury engine) it wanted 26 minutes. I put it on my laptop with an Ivy_Bridge i7 CPU and a high-end nVidia card and it took 42 seconds. You are using the software workaround, in all likelyhood, and it's going to be slow. But with the right kit you can fly.
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #11
Trustee

battle, with ivy bridge do you think it's the card or the cpu giving that time?

i mean if you switch off cuda rendering on your laptop, what time would the same render take?
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #12
Major Player

BATTLE. I have to thankyou. If it wasn't for your input I would never have known about clicking on to Queue to get the full options of AME in the drop down pre set box. I have just bought an expensive manual written by Adobe experts and they never mention this fact. I am now back in the business of encoding for You Tube. I only do video work now as a hobby as I'm 86 yrs old. As regards the video card, I can't afford any more improvements as everything in UK cost a lot more than in the USA. I only upload to YouTube two HDV videos a year so I can put up with the time taken to encode and upload.
It doesn't take me long to make blu-ray and DVD discs
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #13
Major Player

Wow, 86 years old and still going strong.
To read the thumbnail just double click on it, it will open to a larger picture.
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks again ANN. I have now made the settings panel readable and notice that you are using the preset
1280 X 720. Will that give 16.9 aspect to fill the YouTube playback screen. Actually on a test I selected this preset but it showed on the panel as 1920 X 1280 so I aborted it and selected the TVHD 1920X1280 HD 25. It was only a minute test and it encoded in 10 minutes and it uploaded to youtube in about 20 minutes and the picture looked fine. BTW I was in Amsterdam a few years ago and made a video, it was to long to go on YouTube, but I put a couple of excerps on YT. Clog making and Street Musicians of Amsterdam. The complete video won an award in the UK. If you would like to see the excerpts log in to RoyfromDurham on YouTube. If you like what you see I can send you a DVD or Blu-ray of the full 13min video.
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
battle, with ivy bridge do you think it's the card or the cpu giving that time?

i mean if you switch off cuda rendering on your laptop, what time would the same render take?
Well, that got me to thinking, so I went and tried it with the nVidia card selected for AME, and then with the onpboard Intel 4000 graphics enabled. 3:07 avi file 1024 x 576, resized to 720x480 and converted to NTSC high quality DV Mpeg2 using the AME default setting: 40 seconds for either video processor. I understand the cuda cores are for the preview rendering and also operate some of the PPro effects. It looks like it is not involved in, at least, MPEG encoding. Great question, interesting result....!

{later} Just for grins I went in and set up the NTSC HQ MPEG2 to max render quality, vbr 2 pass. Times increased to 5:18 for the nVidia card and 5:12 for the Intel 4000 on-chip graphics.

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; December 10th, 2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite