Encore /photoshop edit not working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 10th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Trustee

Encore /photoshop edit not working

Does anybody know what could keep the "edit menu in photoshop" function from working in Encore CS6?
The Adobe forum on this was not helpful.

1. If Photoshop is not active it doesn't launch.
2. If Photoshop is active it comes to the foreground but the menu isn't opened.
3. Yes, I do have the .psd files set to default in Photoshop.
4. My old CS4 version (on a different computer) works fine.
5. There doesn't seem to be anything in the preferences referring to this function, so resetting the prefs doesn't help. (there is the media>location pref, but it points correctly to the encore library folder)
6. I can go to Photoshop and open the files by navigating to the Encore > Library, so there is nothing wrong with the menu files.

I can live without this, but it's annoying. Anyone?

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; March 10th, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Encore /photoshop edit not working

Something is stopping Photoshop launching? I can't remember if you are on a Windows system, but you could check the Task manager processes list to see if anything there is interfering, like an open at start-up earlier version of PS or Bridge. Make sure you don't have Bridge CS5 in the list of process on the right of the task Bar.

My bet is you'll find something in the processes list that is causing problems.
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the tip, and I'll be taking a look. This was a fresh install of CS6 in a brand-new Windows computer, so thankfully there aren't any "beasties" hanging about from any prior installs. I did have the failure- to- install content material problem recently aluded to in another thread here, and recently did the Adobe makeup-install.

Whether that might be a contributing factor I will never know as unfortunately I had no need for the "edit in photoshop" function until after I did the update. Encore, however, finds all the content files, Bridge finds them, and Photoshop will open them directly from the Library, just won't open or open the files from within Encore....as the King of Siam said, "is a puzzlement."
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Major Player

With such a clean system, it is indeed a 'puzzlement'

Could you have installed another image manipulation program after Photoshop that has stolen the .psd file association?
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the thought, Trevor, but that's the first thing I checked. I think there is some disconnect in the Adobe installation somewhere, but the last time I re-installed a Production suite it caused more problems than it solved, so I'm going to leave my new one alone! I can live with this, Photoshop opens the files just fine if I boot it outside of Encore, so for the amount of DVD making I will probably do, it's not a biggie. Just irritating, one wants thing to work as advertised....thanks for all your input!
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Major Player

I guess there is always the Adobe forums. They have rarely failed to come up with an answer for me, and often from the very same people who post here. Unfortunately it is difficult to search for the answer because of the huge proliferation of hijacked file extension answers.
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Trustee

I didn't find anything useful there, there were a few entries but they were years old and such suggestions as there were didn't help. I suppose I could try Adobe support, but I was thinking that if there was not a current thread on this that it must be situational to my system in some way. Apparently not a common problem. Funny, my old win32 CS4 box with 4 gigs ram opens Photoshop and the menu almost instantly from Encore, my Ivy Bridge computer with 32 gigs and top-end graphics card can't make it happen....I'm going to not worry about it, however, and I appreciate your input. Thanks again!
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Re-associate the .PSD extension with Photoshop CS6.
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Trustee

Thanks, Ann, that's the first thing I tried, to no avail.
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Major Player

If you have a Photoshop file in Premiere Pro, can you get 'edit in Photoshop' to work?
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Trustee

Yes, I can open any kind of still image in Photoshop from PPro in the "edit in photoshop" function.

Later Update: This is an old thread, and I went back for grins and tried "edit menu in Photoshop" in the same project I originally had problems with. Aaargh! The problem has disappeared as mysteriously as it came. No system changes, no nothing. Now it works, then it didn't The perversity of inanimate objects....many thanks to all who responded!

Even later: I'm just guessing, but it may have been some kind of Windows registry issue, as the only thing that changes on my system is a weekly run of a registry cleaner. It may have found some conflict and fixed it. Other than that, this is one of those little Windows mysteries....

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; April 21st, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Major Player

This sort of thing can be frustrating and VERY annoying. I have suddenly found that AE won't import MXF files, and even has problems with old projects that used MXF files. What's all that about?!!! Lot's or hits when I Googled, so I am apparently not alone. AFAIK I haven't done anything to cause this, or at least I can't correlate it with anything. I really don't want to have start using the workarounds I found with Google, because the whole dynamic link thing is kind of central to the Creative Suite workflow.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite