Using DNxHD for editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Using DNxHD for editing

Hey all,

I am currently filming on a Canon t2i. Was using HDMI out with my Shuttle 2, but my HDMI died on my camera, so stuck with h264 for now. Planning on getting a BM Pocket camera in August or so. May spring for the canon factory refurbished/trade in option for my t2i soon if I can to get HDMI working again.

Anyway, I am a firm believer in using DNxHD (since my shuttle records in it, and hopefully the BM Pocket camera will either record to it (initially it says ProRes) or CinemaDNG Raw). I am a windows user by the way and don't like the 32-bit buggy ProRes/Quicktime stuff.

So, I am curious how many transcode to DNxHD for use with editing in Premiere Pro CS6?

I ask because I typically want to edit in two ways. One is, I will bring in my dailies, which usually have several seconds of padding on both sides. As well I use external audio with a few mics. So I tend to want to bring the dailies in, cut them down, sync audio, then put them into a separate "ready to edit" folder. I also want to use a DNxHD 36 proxy to edit with, while my masters are DNxHD 220. Also, another reason to cut/sync then store separately, is I may want to give the individual clips along with a script perhaps, to another editor who can then start to assemble the film from the clips.

I am just wondering if this is a good workflow? If there is perhaps a better way to do this? Also, what transcoder do you all use for AVCHD/H264 or even from ProRes or CinemaDNG (or even Red Raw) to DNxHD?

Thanks.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Using DNxHD for editing

Hi.. nobody replied here.. But do you have a way of opening DnXHD on Premiere on Mac? I can't..
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Trustee

@ Marcello --
You can download the codec for free from Avid: Avid Codecs 2.3.7 Download
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #4
Major Player

CS6 won't read DNxHD in MXF wrapper, so make sure you record to MOV if you can.
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Works fine in Windows and a PC - but I know it is not as good as Mac.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Trustee

For people using a PC, anything in a .MOV wrapper that uses the QuickTime 32 Server extension, whether it is QT, ProRes or DNxHD, reduces available memory to a maximum of 4 GB, even if you have 64 GB installed, uses lousy threading, requires much more pagefile swaps and can easily bring a decent system to its knees. Just a warning to steer clear of anything with a .MOV extension.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Major Player

True, but if you stay with CS6, and want to use DNxHD, it's either MOV or Calibrated plugin.
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I can confirm the memory issue Harm mentioned.
Normally I use Cineform (AVI) for editing, but the last months I have been testing the DNxHD.
The usage of max 4GB RAM can be a bottle neck, and the difference between using Cineform and DNxHD on the same file, is noticable. (converted 50mbps MXF files from my Canon XF300).
My system has a 6-core i7 3930K CPU with 32GB ram installed, and a dedicated SSD disc for the video files.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite