It's not Creative Suite anymore... news from Adobe - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #166
Major Player

Re: It's not Creative Suite anymore... news from Adobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
$100 a month for seamless Cinema4D -> AE integration, and I would still pay. You would have to be getting very few jobs a month not to justify $50 bucks. The total value of my gear depreciates more than that every month.
But 3 years down the line the Adobe software has stagnated and you want to jump ship to Avid (in the same way FCP owners jumped to Premiere). But you still need to keep on paying Adobe so you can access your old projects.

It's lock in, pure and simple, to stop people jumping ship.

In the corner of my office I still have my edit box from 2005 with Premiere 1.5 on it. Occasionally I fire it up to look at an old project, With "cloud" will I be able to go and load in a project from 2005? Since that time I jumped from Premiere on a PC, to FCP on a Mac and back to Premiere on a Mac. I fear many people falling over themselves to get on the "cloud" aren't looking, 2, 5 or even 10 years down the line at how they might access their data. You have no idea how the package will evolve. As we've seen this week, features vital to some users can be dropped on a whim.
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #167
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post

I don't believe that Encore CS6 is any different to Encore CS5.5 or maybe even earlier so in terms of authoring functionality then I am happy to use the CS6 version but the downside is the Dynamic Linking from PP CC does not work for Encore CS6. This is a great feature if it works but has been so buggy that many/most people do not use it. I have been using it for the last couple of projects that I authored & it worked great so I was hoping that they would have fixed the bugs in a CC version but it's not to be evidently.

There is one significant feature that Encore CS6 has, which earlier versions do not, and that is the ability to use Chapter Playlists with Blu-ray!
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #168
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
No complaints on the CC. $50 a month is not hard to swing at all.

Don't know why people are taking this as justification for jumping back to another product. If you were convinced to use another platform to produce then by all means. Cinema4D + AE integration is worth $50 a month to me alone.

Then there's Photoshop. And Illustrator. And Premiere... And...
Just a guess from my viewpoint, but much like FCP X, when a company does something that
a significant part of their customer base disagrees with, said customer base will use it 'as
justification to jump to another product'.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #169
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
But 3 years down the line the Adobe software has stagnated and you want to jump ship to Avid (in the same way FCP owners jumped to Premiere). But you still need to keep on paying Adobe so you can access your old projects.
I spend a lot of my day in AE and it is an essential part of my workflow. If After Effects goes down then its time for Flame/Nuke anyway and my projects will be useless to start with. As of now, $50 a month is a very minor expense for me to continue using it as I am using it basically 6 days a week. If price goes up, finish up the projects I have on my plate and move on if its no longer viable in a business sense.

Both sides are completely valid, jump ship or not, but given the amount of 3D compositing I have coming at me down the road, the Cinema4D pipeline coming up is a very big and very real advantage. This is the value to ME, directly. I don't see why other people's dislike of Adobe's move makes my use of their product any less 'valid'. AVID is great, go for it, I've used it before.

For premiere; Why not just export a local XML file for re-import into any application down the road? Not like anyone's footage is on Adobe's servers.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #170
Inner Circle

This should clear up the clouds to reveal their goals.

Adobe CEO: We're off to a good start with subscriptions (Q&A) | Business Tech - CNET News

Key part of the Q&A

Narayen: We hope to see 4 million by 2015. We like to understand what it would take to attract more customers. Those are the public targets we set.

So what customer types are you leaving behind? What's the 6 million you're leaving off the table?

Narayen: We don't want to leave a single customer behind. Even with previous Creative Suite products, there are people who choose not to do business with Adobe.

But who's not signing up for subscriptions? Casual users? Hobbyists?

Narayen: We segment our customers as creative pros who use it to make living, people at work who use it to make their jobs more productive, and hobbyists and people at home who enjoy digital creation. The Creative Cloud composition today mirrors fairly well, both for customer segmentation and geography, people who've subscribed to Creative Suite. This notion by moving to Creative Cloud we're intending to leave customers behind is false. In other words, the majority of the people who bought Creative Suite were creative pros, and that's true for the Creative Cloud. It's the same thing with at work and at home.

I wasn't trying to suggest you wanted to leave customers behind. But is it fair to say the folks who aren't happy with Creative Cloud are the ones who are most expendable from a business standpoint -- the ones would not upgrade frequently and who weren't actively engaged in the Adobe road map?

Narayen: Every customer is a customer we want to make the journey with us. We will work hard to demonstrate why the innovation is the better accomplished through the Creative Cloud.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite