It's not Creative Suite anymore... news from Adobe - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: It's not Creative Suite anymore... news from Adobe

I just received an e-mail from CVP, my UK supplier. The Production Premium CS5.5 upgrade to CS6 is not available as a boxed item any more - Adobe apparently only do it by download now - and they have just sent me the link.

So there goes my plan to have a boxed version with a disc for future safe keeping (my CS5.5 came in a box)...

This is actually for a Mac build I will be doing in a few weeks time (different configuration - OS version and HDD - to the one I'm on now)....when I'm less busy.

Am I right in assuming I can download the software upgrade (on my current Mac Pro) and just burn that to disc (without opening) for safe keeping/use in the future??? Any gotchas with doing this???

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question but this whole thing has really ruffled me. I'm very busy with client work and really did not want to be dealing with something like this right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #62
Major Player

Andy,

You can archive the downloaded files to disk. Just make sure that you do not lose any of the product or activation keys that you receive from Adobe for the CS6.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Strong View Post
I wonder if cameras could ever do this. I mean, implement some firmware into the camera so
that it quits working if you don't pay your monthly fee. Then they could price it at say $500 a month.
I mean you have to upgrade your camera every year anyways when a new one comes out right?
This way, you could get all the new improvements that the new model has, without now feeling
that your camera is obsolete. Maybe Red could try and implement something like this to
truly make their motto true, once and for all.....
(Yes people, I am kidding).
Aren't Apple some way down this route with their sealed-in batteries that make replacement as expensive as upgrading in some cases?
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
Andy,

You can archive the downloaded files to disk. Just make sure that you do not lose any of the product or activation keys that you receive from Adobe for the CS6.
Thank you!
Old May 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #65
Major Player

Anyone know how the CC works with machine installations?

Under CS I can install it on two machines and use them simultaneously. Will the same be true under the CC platform?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #66
Major Player

Under CS you can install it on two machines, but you CANNOT legally use both at once, and both installation must be on the same platform (i.e. Windows OR Apple).

Under CC Adobe are not sure, some say one installation only, but other voices are saying two installations which can be used simultaneously and need not be on the same platform.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #67
Major Player

I guess I didn't realize you couldn't run two at the same time legally. I do that all the time in my office, generally exporting something from one machine while editing on another.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #68
Major Player

I was sure that with the Cloud you could use both platforms. That was one of the advantages.

What is concerning me is that I only have 50Gb left on my SSD C: drive, and I definitely don't want to uninstall my CS6 apps. :-( There is so much space taken up by hidden folders that are not easily relocated. Looks like a bit of Google time coming up.
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
Anyone know how the CC works with machine installations?

Under CS I can install it on two machines and use them simultaneously. Will the same be true under the CC platform?
Adobe have clarified you can have two installs, but can't run them at the same time. Same arrangement as now basically.

Now if only every plug in would also do the same!
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #70
Slash Rules!

Havent read the whole five pages, so i apologize if this has already been said. For those who edit for a living (i.e. its a huge part or all of what they do), this is pretty cool. For people like me who only edit occasionally for pay, it makes no financial sense and kind of blows.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #71
Major Player

I've been running CC since it first came out. I also run CS6 Production Premium. I use CS6 on my main editing computer, and the second copy of CS6 on my laptop. I wanted to run the Adobe Suite on a third computer, and decided to try CC; it was more cost effective for me than buying anther CS6 license.

In many ways there is little difference between the two; except with CC I've hogged up and installed almost every program. The only program beyond Production Premium I extensively use is Acrobat XI Pro; I do plan to use all the web tools but have not had time for that so far. I also like that they added Lightroom so upgrades come along with CC, as I'm a big Lightroom user.

I do have a warning, or perhaps a best practice. If you want to run both CS6 and CC (on different computers) - it is very important to get a new Adobe account for CC. The problem if you don't, when CS6 checks into Adobe for updates, Adobe looks at your account and sees your CC license and assumes your CS6 installation is really CC, and converts it over to the CC license. This might be a good idea if you only run two computers, but not if you want to run three or four computers on two licenses. When this happens you need to contact Adobe support and get one of the licenses moved to another account. Seems kind of dumb but that's the way it works.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #72
Major Player

I have been waffling over whether to buy the latest offer from Sony for Vegas Pro Suite for a discount. This move from Adobe made me decide to buy from Sony. Need I say anymore? Adobe? Do you miss my money yet?
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #73
Major Player

I don't think they will back from this CC but I hope they offer to the change for a fixed purchase fee when they start reading all the bad press.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #74
Major Player

What keeps surprising me this far into the CC news, is that so many people are still getting it so very wrong. I keep seeing wrong pricing, like people think they will have to pay $600 a year just for Photoshop, or that they'll never be able to return to CS6 if they don't like the CC in a years time. I wish there was a page somewhere that that had all the 'facts' laid out in unambiguous language. Anything to rid us of this mass hysteria. My greatest fear is that Adobe will withdraw the offer, because it a great deal IMO, and I can't wait for the new CC apps to be released. I'll be signing up for sure.
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis View Post
I wish there was a page somewhere that that had all the 'facts' laid out in unambiguous language. Anything to rid us of this mass hysteria.
Here is a great start: Adobe Creative Cloud - FAQ

Here is an interview with Bill Roberts, Director, Audio/Video Product Management, Adobe Systems, Inc: Digital Production Buzz - May 9, 2013

All of the misunderstandings are adressed on both pages, such as:
"You are not forced to update when an update is released", "All applications are installed locally", "Storing anything in the cloud is optional and you are not forced to store anything in the cloud", "You don't need to be connected to the net to launch applications", "None of your project files are deleted when/if you opt out for CC", "None of your project files or footage are stored in the cloud by default", "All exports are done to a local hard drive", etc.

All the best, Roger

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite