Converting 60 fps to 30 and back at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 25th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Converting 60 fps to 30 and back

This is along the lines of some of the other threads I've seen, but bear with me. I have recently purchased two Panasonic HC-X920s to do personal histories and weddings (DSLR lovers, I thought about getting a couple, but when you start adding in the various lenses, it gets real expensive). I recently did a project and shot it at 1920x1080p at 60fps. I edited it in Premiere Pro CS6 and exported it as a .wmv file (that's the best one for this organization) at 30fps. Later I had to re-import the rendered file back into PP and on the timeline I only see the bottom half of the video. I'm sure it has something to do with the 60 to 30 fps conversion, but not sure how to deal with it. PP doesn't given me the option to render at 60 fps (not sure that I'd actually want to, anyway). Can someone tell me what is causing this and how I should do this in the future to avoid problems?
FYI, when I created the original sequence, and dropped the imported video into the timeline, I was given the option of changing the sequence properties to match the video, or vice versa. I chose to change the sequence to match the video.
Greg Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Converting 60 fps to 30 and back

Hey Greg,

Can you go back to your original saved Premier project file, that was done in 60fps, and make the changes you need to make there? Or do you specifically need the already exported/rendered 30fps .WMV file?

Cheers,
Shannon.
Shannon Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Shannon, I was able to go back and make changes in the original. So, as far as that goes, I'm okay. This situation is certainly a strong argument for archiving entire projects (I had the original PP project, and then had to link up the video files within the project to the actual files, which I had moved to another couple of folders - do I need to work on my organizational skills?! :)) However, I'm wondering what it was that caused the problem, so I don't encounter it in the future. Also, given that the X920 and a lot of other newer camcorders record in AVCHD 60fps, I may not be the only one who will be faced with this. I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around the issue. The original rendered video played fine, but when I brought it back into a timeline, only half of each frame showed.

Last edited by Greg Wilson; July 26th, 2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: acknowledging person's name who responded
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #4
New Boot

Update: I thought, perhaps rendering at 60fps might do the trick. I took a test section and rendered it at the preset 720p 59.94fps (which is what PP had available - no 1080p 59.94 is available). Dragged the new rendered clip into the timeline, which was also set at 59.94fps, and...no good. Still only seeing the bottom half of the frame. Just FYI. For many of you, this might be a non-issue, but I'm simply trying to understand what I am doing that results in this situation.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Major Player

I had some .wmv files that I had to integrate into a project that I'm working on right now and was dealing with the same thing. My only solution was to run them through Cineform and get them right with the project.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Thread moved from DVi Announcements to Adobe Creative Suite.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Major Player

This appears to be the "half frame" problem that is due to a recent Windows update - it is well documented on the Adobe Premiere Forums - together with the solution.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven View Post
This appears to be the "half frame" problem that is due to a recent Windows update - it is well documented on the Adobe Premiere Forums - together with the solution.
Can you please send me the link?
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Trustee

Here is one such: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1251905?tstart=0

Answer is to uninstall the recent kb2803821 update, then hide it in windows update so it doesn't load again. HTH>
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite