How do I best do this title need in Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Major Player

How do I best do this title need in Premiere?

In Final Cut this would be very easy, but not so much in Premiere unless I'm missing something.

I have a two hour seminar that has been edited with slides. The client wants the presentation slide number to always be on the screen, in the lower right corner. So that even when we are showing video of the presenter speaking, the viewer knows which slide he is on and referring to.

In Final Cut 7 I would simply create one title with a number and stretch it across the entire timeline. Then cut it up at each point I needed to change the number. Then go into each newly cut section and change the number to the appropriate slide. This works because FCP (7 at least) treats each newly cut part as a separate title.

In Premiere this doesn't work since even if you cut the title it still treats it as the same clip. You make a change in one section and it changes in another.

I know you can create another slide based on this one from the titler, but for 150+ slides it will be a lot of work versus the FCP solution.

Any way to do this like in FCP?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How do I best do this title need in Premiere?

In Premiere CC create a title and put it on the timeline. Now on the timeline alt+drag from this title a new title.
This new title can be modified without altering the original.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Major Player

I didn't know that, thanks!
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Why would they not know what slide they are on? Are they not on the screen at the same time?

This seems like a rather antiquated process.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Major Player

1. This falls under the category of "Clients Suck". It is their desire to always let the the viewer know what slide they are on. I argued against it.

2. I never edit presentations like this where the slide is *always* on the screen. You cut between the slide, the speaker, sometimes both in a split screen. But just having both the speaker and the slide up the entire time? Blech. How dull.
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

For anyone without Premiere CC, this solution is simple and can be accomplished with basic titling tools but will take slightly longer to complete.

Make titles for 0 to 9 with the numeral positioned where you want the units digit on the screen. Put the titles for slides 1 to 9 on your first video title track as dictated by the program content. When you get to 10, place the 0 in position and go to a second video title track and put in the 1. Position it left with the standard move effect to get '10'. Extend the duration of the title along the second track until you reach the end of slide '19'. Now go back to the first track and place titles for 1 to 9 corresponding to slides 11 through 19. When you get to 20, change the number on the second video track to 2 and place titles for 1 to 9 corresponding to 21 through 29 on the first track. Repeat the same pattern when you get to 30, etc.
Roger Keay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
In Premiere CC create a title and put it on the timeline. Now on the timeline alt+drag from this title a new title.
This new title can be modified without altering the original.
I'm trying this, but it's not working. It does duplicate the title but when I change the new one it also changes the old.

Any ideas?

I'm on a Mac in case the keystrokes are different.
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
1. This falls under the category of "Clients Suck". It is their desire to always let the the viewer know what slide they are on. I argued against it.

2. I never edit presentations like this where the slide is *always* on the screen. You cut between the slide, the speaker, sometimes both in a split screen. But just having both the speaker and the slide up the entire time? Blech. How dull.
Actually Brian,
That's the way most high end services do it. Speaker on one side and powerpoint on the other.

That's what I do for a living and it's what 99% of clients want.
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Trustee

Maybe it's a new feature in CC. It doesn't work in Premiere CS6. You can (as I think you indicated) make duplicates...on a PC, right click on the title icon in the project folder, select duplicate, then rename and edit to suit. I assume there is a similar function for the Mac....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gardner View Post
Actually Brian,
That's the way most high end services do it. Speaker on one side and powerpoint on the other.

That's what I do for a living and it's what 99% of clients want.
That's fine, just like my original post we are giving the clients what they want.

Still doesn't mean it's not dull. ;)
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Actually nothing could be more dull then cutting back and forth from the speaker to the powerpoint.

Old August 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gardner View Post
Actually nothing could be more dull then cutting back and forth from the speaker to the powerpoint.
I suppose we will agree to disagree on this one. I much prefer the look and feel that Apple does with their presentations versus a 100% spilt screen.
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Maybe I haven't seen that then. Do you have a example of that?
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Major Player

Unless I'm misunderstanding something... Double-click on the original title, then click on the "New Title based on Current Title" button at the top of the titler window (I'm at work, and don't have the screen in front of me, so the button might not be called exactly that). Premier will ask you to name the new title, then you can edit this new title and place it where you want. It will be a direct copy of the original title, until you change something, so all the fonts, styles, text, graphics, placements etc will be there.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #15
Trustee

Bravo, Julian, I never noticed that feature before! That's what I love about this forum....thanks~!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite