Horizontal banding/interlace problems on premiere cc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 14th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Horizontal banding/interlace problems on premiere cc

I'm having a problem and could really use some help.

I've been working at TV channel for a about 8 years now working on a Final Cut Pro system. Just recently, my company switched me to a Windows Premiere CC system. No biggie, right?

My TV channel airs a lot of music videos, most of which come in at various forms, recently a lot of them are 720 or 1080 24p mp4 files. I was adding titles to them (the text in the bottom left corner that says song name, artist name, album, and label) and exporting them to DVCPROHD for air. All of the videos not injested by tape but transferred digitally by air NEED to be DVCPROHD 1080i60 29.97 or DVCPRO50 NTSC 29.97 for standard def.

So I finished the first batch of MVs that I've done on this computer, and OUCH! Tons of horizontal banding! Not good! So instead of dragging the mp4s directly into premiere, I tried encoding the original video files to DVCPROHD with media encoder first, then putting them in premiere and exporting them. Still getting horizontal banding! Tried it with frame blending off and on, even tried .avi, nothing worked. So finally I decided to go for broke and make as high quality a video as possible. I made a quicktime movie with the animation codec, changed the frame rate to 29.97 progressive. Sure enough, it worked. Looks great even after export with no horizontal lines, but, ANIMATION? I mean, that's gonna give me ridiculously large file sizes every time! And I don't just get music videos, some times I get half hour or one hour shows that I need to send to air, and encoding those to quicktime animation codec every time is not gonna be sustainable imo.

When I was using the Mac, no matter what video format at what frame rate I got, all I had to do was throw it in Mpeg Streamclip and encode it to Apple Pro Res 422, make the frame rate 29.97, and check de-interlace and it worked like a charm! Drag it into Final Cut, export a quicktime movie using DVCPROHD, and it never failed. So what is the default high quality editing format for Premiere? Do I have to use the animation codec for everything I get? Also, my copy of MPEG Streamclip for Windows doesn't work at all, and hardly has any codecs that I'm familiar with. And none of my videos even play back in the quicktime or windows media player, I have to use something called VLC Media Player just to watch my video files. What gives? Can any PC users or Premiere CC users give me some advice? I could really use some help, thanks.
Eddie Yamashita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Horizontal banding/interlace problems on premiere cc

i also tried matching the sequence setting to both the export format and the format of the original mp4 video to no avail. literally every single method i've tried, i've gotten horizontal banding EXCEPT when encoding the original video into quicktime animation progressive before bringing it in to premiere.
Old February 14th, 2014, 02:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Eddie,

Importing some files, I find that Premiere interprets them wrong, and gets the field order wrong, making sort of horizontal choppiness and nasties on many shots.

Right click the source clip and choose Interpret Footage. I have to force my PAL MPEG files to be Upper Field First for HD sometimes. That does the trick for me, maybe you could try that?

Maybe your problem is different. I see the above actually inside Premiere CC before export, the MPEG files come from a broadcaster.

Last edited by Mike Beckett; February 14th, 2014 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Damn iPad!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #4
New Boot

thanks, i'll try that today.
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #5
New Boot

unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. all of them were set to upper field by default. i switched between upper field and progressive and i see the horizontal banding already inside of premiere. anyone else out there that can offer some help?
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #6
New Boot

finally found my answer!!!!

right click clip in timeline -> field options -> always deinterlace

i feel like i should've known that already but ah well, i know now.
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #7
New Boot

actually, i spoke too soon. looks like it is still having the same issue. i think it has something to do with going from 23.976 fps to 29.97 fps but i don't know for sure. so far the only solution that's worked for me has been: encode original file to quicktime animation progressive 29.97 -> import into premiere -> export dvcproHD

anyone know what should i do? should i encode each file to animation before i bring it into premiere? i really need a solution to this! X(

update: i found another solution that seems to work. encode original file to dvcprohd in media encoder -> import into premiere -> right click clip on timeline and select field options: always deinterlace -> export to dvcproHD

i was kinda hoping there was a method where you could skip encoding entirely and work with the original file in premiere, but i still haven't figured out how without getting lots of horizontal lines.
Old March 12th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Trustee

Eddie, have you solved your issue, yet? I suggest that you look into using Adobe Prelude (comes with the production suite). There you can ingest all your clips and have them trans coded upon export to PPro. You might have to create a custom export via the Adobe Media Encoder first, if it's not the standard export options in Prelude.
Old March 19th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Are these horizontal lines interlacing or color banding?

I would try to bring in the original file, put your captions on, the export to DVCProHD and check "maximum bit depth" in the export dialog.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite