Chromakeying at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 24th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Chromakeying

I am just starting to use the Ultra key with Adobe CS5 premiere pro and am wondering if a normal fluorescent tubes fitted vertically each side of a green screen would light the screen efficient. I have heard of softbox lighting using fluorescent bulbs and wondered if the vertical tubes would spread the light more evenly. Would the colour temperature be correct for a HDV camcorder or would the auto system of the camera make any correction needed. Advice appreciated.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Chromakeying

Vertical fluorescent tubes may create their own problems with unwanted light spill unless you flag them. The closer you place them to the screen the brighter the screen will be, but the more contrast there will be between the center and the edges of the screen.

I wouldn't worry about the fluorescent temperature as much as the evenness and brightness of the light across the whole screen. Two regular tubes may no provide enough illumination in the center of the screen, where it is most important because you can't mask there as easily (assuming your talent is somewhere in the middle)

Softboxes are hard to beat for lighting green screens. Kino-flos work, too, but they use more than one tube apiece for sufficient illumination...

At your own risk, I would say. Do you have the time to test it out?
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Chromakeying

FINN thanks for your input. I only want the talent to be seen as head and shoulders so If needs be I could mount a third tube horizintally to light the middle of the screen which would not have to be very wide. So I think the screen would be reasonably evenly lit. If I can borrow some 4ft lighta I will give it a test.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite