Cs6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Cs6

Does CS6 include encore? I have been offered at a reasonable price a PC with WIN7, CS6, three hard drives and a blu-ray burner. The seller has just informed me that Encore won't open without a new serial number. I don't know what this means and I don't want to show my ignorance to the seller. Can Encore be bought seperately to operate with the CS6 on the PC?
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Cs6

Encore comes with Premiere. Its part of the pakkage.
As soon as you activated Premiere with a genuine serial number you can open and use Encore.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Major Player

ANN. According to the seller,the problem is Encore doesn't open when offered the serial number, while everything else does. Is is possible to buy encore on it's own?
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Trustee

No. It may be caused by installing CC on the PC, even if it is only the trial version and later removing CC. That screws up the normal CS6 installation and may require a fresh install of CS6 and activating it anew, after having removed all CC stuff.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Harm,

What have you been up to lately?
Have you picked a new NLE and are you happy with it?
I'm looking forward to trying out Resolve 11. It looks like they are really upping their editing features.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #6
Trustee

Todd,

I've been busy writing articles about hardware choices for editing with Premiere Pro, as you may have seen here: Tweakers Page

I hope it is a treasure cove for people looking for a new machine and doubting the suggestions they have been given, or want some background info on how to setup a balanced system for their editing needs.

I'm still on CS6, which was paid for in full before CC arrived and I see no reason yet to change to either Avid or Edius, since CS6 does what I need it for. Upgrading to CC makes no sense, since I'm only editing HD and have no need for XAVC or H.265 yet. Just staying on MC CS6, which I upgraded to for $ 480 and is a perpetual license, saved me around $ 450 in 11 months by not going the CC route. Monthly savings here are around $ 85 by NOT subscribing to CC. Those savings come in handy, when you need a good shoulder rig (Vocas) for the camera, XF300.

I have no experience with Resolve, so I can't comment on that.
Old April 25th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
I see no reason yet to change to either Avid or Edius
Eventually you will have to, the savings you made until now are only applicable if you don't have a camera who's codec is not supported by your nle, you also will miss out on any update or improvement if you don't want to follow the subscription route. Once you buy a new camera with a unsupported codec (which is used in every new 4k camera that's been made now) you will be forced to either go the adobe subscription route or pay the full price for a new NLE. That's what I had to to when I had adobe premiere cs3 which didn't support avchd of my new camera, because of many instability issues I had with that version I switched as well. I can only hope other manufacturers don't follow the subscription model from Adobe, that's the last thing I need.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
you also will miss out on any update or improvement if you don't want to follow the subscription route.
Given the 'feature creep' in CC, combined with the introduction of numerous bugs, I don't think I miss anything and my camera will last me for several years. Add to that the huge cost for memory cards for the Z100, the rolling shutter problems, the need for massive upgrades to my PC for 4K editing, the lack of delivery methods for XAVC in 4K, the infant and very costly stage of UHD TV's and I suspect it will be several years before I'm ready to make that move.

Meanwhile my 'savings' (well, less spending) at $ 85 per month continue to add up, so I'm a happy camper with my XF300.
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I think it's a logical choice staying with your current NLE if it does what you expect from it, does adobe still bring out bug updates for cs6?

It only becomes an issue if you buy a new camera with a 4k codec, there might be a lack in delivery methods but you can at least edit in 4K and deliver 1080p, dvd or whatever while keeping your own 4k master so you could use it for future projects when 4k becomes a standard, 4k, while still just new, does have some advantages already like cropping ability in a 1080p project and there are plenty examples it can do a more detailed 1080p, rolling shutter is not as severe on every 4k camera, the gh4 does certainly not display that bad RS. There are also already the first 4k tv's appearing below 1k and I"m sure other will follow very soon.
Editing 4k is still a big question mark for me and I can imagine that would be much more taxing on my current pc compared to 1080p codecs.

For me 4k will only become necessary in about 2-3 years time but I would like to have a NLE that can support whatever codec that is out there, just in case I need it and I find it important that my NLE is always up to date, there are often bug fixes that improve stability or add functionality. Something to think about if you use a NLE that might not get updated anymore.
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Regular Crew

"Something to think about if you use a NLE that might not get updated anymore."

That's ok. By that time Resolve will be a matured aditing app and it works with all native files.
I'm with Harm and I will never "rent" something I can't keep in the end. CS6 works just fine until I move over to Resolve.

I'm looking forward to giving Resolve 11 a try and from the demo videos on their site it has come a long way.

Harm, you should check it out.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #11
Inner Circle

That's what I said, as long as it works for your workflow there is no reason to upgrade, but eventually you will have to.
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Whats all this got to do with my problem?
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Nothing, having a go a CC again. Some people have nothing better to do...

<The seller has just informed me that Encore won't open without a new serial number>

New serial? Is this a legit buy?
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Alexander View Post
Whats all this got to do with my problem?
Well, it could be a problem depending on what codec your camera uses, cs6 won't be supporting any newer codecs that are used now, just something to consider. About your cs6 premiere/encore software, I once had a cs3 premiere only package and it did include encore as well, unless adobe changed something with their newer versions encore is not separately sold, both however required a different serialnr in order to work. If you reinstalled to many times, like I once did, you need to request a new serialnr, I had contact with adobe for that and they can reset the number of times you can enter a serial nr it appears, probably the number of times you reinstall the software and activate it gives some kind of countdown until a limit is reached, that adobe person was able to just reset it and I was able to reuse the software again. So it might be what Harm suggested with installing cc or it might just be a illegal version, if the serial doesn't work you can contact adobe to fix it but my guess is that if the seller says it doesn't work there is something fishy going on.
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #15
Major Player

Yes. this is a legimate buy. All other prgrammes included with CS6 is installed with no problem. Only encore needs another serial number. I have found a way to work round the problem. I will edit on CS6 premiere Pro and then expoort the edited video as an MPG file onto a Memory stick. Transfer the mpg file from the stick to one of my other PC's which has on it CS5 and encore. I will use this encore to make an ISO file and burn a blu-ray disc using IMGBURN. Hoping that CS6 will have some advanced editing tricks which CS5 hasn't got. I.e. I know Hover scrubbing is one new gimmick that could be time saving. I hope also that rolling title will be more stable.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite