Using a gradient mask at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 30th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Using a gradient mask

Hi All - I have a shot that is correctly colour balanced down the left hand side (near some windows) but too warm down the right (lots of tungsten lighting) I want to colour correct the overly warm clip and then overlay it onto the clip that is correct and merge them together. I've tried using a gradient title and track matte but to no avail - what am I missing? I can do it with a four point garbage matte but would need a feathered edge for it to work properly

I can also get close using the Linear Wipe effect but the feather is not enough

Pete

Last edited by Peter Rush; May 30th, 2014 at 09:08 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Using a gradient mask

Check out the Creative Impatience plugins - free to download - which include a feathered crop and power window. This set of plugins solves one of the biggest bugs of premiere for me - the fact that even the simplest gradients/masks/vignette's are a pain to create in Premiere. You might be able to use their feathered crop to gradient/mask your problem areas.

Otherwise, the obvious solution is a quick trip to AE, if you have it.

Wasn't masking/feathering one of the new features added or announced for Premiere in the most recent CC upgrade? I'm still on CS6 but this could be a big time saver for me and one of the things that finally gets me to upgrade.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks John - I'll get those plugins now - I could go into AE but I do get this quite often as I shoot weddings and a lot of reception rooms have strong daylight down one side and warmer tungsten the further you go into the room - at doing nearly a wedding a week I don't want to do anything to extend the time of my workflow.

I'm on CS5.5 and won't at the moment be upgrading to CC (not even sure there's an upgrade path for exosting owners) as I really don't believe in renting software

Thanks for the tip - I wouldn't have thought something that should be so simple is a pain to do natively!

Pete
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Major Player

<< I've tried using a gradient title and track matte but to no avail >>

You can drop a Fast Blur on the title shape for feathering.
Old June 8th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Creative Impatience - Feathered Crop - Absolutely brilliant!!! And free - I will so donate as it is a time saver for me!
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Trustee

Glad I could recommend it! It can be a big time saver for those things that are too basic to deserve a trip to AE.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite