Quick question re: Premiere Pro CC and MacBook horsepower... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 25th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick question re: Premiere Pro CC and MacBook horsepower...

Hi All:

I just bought a brand-new (mid-2014) MacBook Pro, maxed-out on specs for video editing. Here are the specs...

• 2.8GHz Intel Core i7
• 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
• solid state drive
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB

That's as pumped-up as a MacBook can currently get. And it handles basic editing in Premiere Pro CC effortlessly...except...I've noticed that when doing pan & scan moves on still photos, playback/preview is REALLY herky-jerky. Not smooth at all.

The final video after export looks good---pan & scans are nice and smooth. Changing display quality in Premiere doesn't make any difference---moves are still herky-jerky.

The still image size I work with is pretty big (like 5184x3456px) just to enable me to push in more on the images. But they're JPEGs so file size is pretty small (like 700K to 1.3MB).

Any ideas or suggestions? As long as exported video looks good I guess I can live with it, but it's hard to judge pan & scan moves accurately when preview is so jerky.

It doesn't seem like doing moves like this on still photos would be processor-intensive (they're just stills, after all)...but maybe they are? And maybe my MacBook is just too slow?

Thanks!
Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Quick question re: Premiere Pro CC and MacBook horsepower...

You are using a fast external drive (e.g. a G-Tech RAID 0) via, ideally, Thunderbolt 2 or USB3 for your project media, right?
Old February 25th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Andy—nice to see another Wilkinson here! :-)

No, I'm not using a fast external drive at the moment (but could get one). I assumed (perhaps erroneously) that the Apple SSD in my MacBook was plenty fast enough. But now that you mention it, I've never even checked to see how fast it is?

If a fast external drive (like the G-Tech RAID 0) makes all the difference, then I will get one! :-)

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Wrangler

Scott, having always been a PC user, I bought the same machine to test the Apple waters.

Sorry to say I haven't put it through its paces yet to see how it really does with complex PPro projects, but I doubt the SSD is the bottleneck. I ran the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on mine (the 1TB SSD), and as I recall it was somewhere around 950+ MB/sec.

Speculating, but wondering if it is using the Intel graphics, rather than the nVidia card, during your still image manipulation on the timeline? I'm not on the Mac right now, but I think in computer's system settings (not in PPro) you can change from automatic switching between Intel and nVidia graphics. Might be worth a quick try, anyway.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite