How does Premiere handle off frame rates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 1st, 2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Trustee

How does Premiere handle off frame rates?

So, this mystifies me. I've done a few tests, but I'm still not sure what's going on and was wondering if someone actually knew. I'm having trouble finding info online.

Say I create a 25fps timeline. I drop 25fps clips on it, all well and good.

Now I drop a 24fps or 30fps clip on it. Somehow, Premiere automatically processes the clip to maintain duration. So, if the 24fps clip is exactly 1 second long, it'll still be exactly 1 second long in the 25fps timeline. Ditto with the 30fps clip.

So what exactly is it doing? Anyone know?

It seems to me what it could be doing is: speed change, interpolating frames, dropping frames, doubling frames, or some mix of the above. With the 24fps clip I tested, just clicking forward frame by frame, it seemed the first frame of each second got doubled. With a 10fps clip, it looked like some frames got doubled and some got tripled, but perhaps this was a speed change. With a 30fps clip, I'm assuming interpolation is involved on every third pair of frames or something like that, rather than speed change or dropped frames.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How does Premiere handle off frame rates?

Yes, it duplicates (or subtracts) frames to maintain duration within different timebases.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite