CS5 big problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 13th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #1
Major Player

CS5 big problem

Last night I finished a small amount of editing with CS5 premiere pro and closed down the PC. This morning I opened up the PC to do some more editing and found that all the shortcut icons on the desktop no longer worked except the shortcut to Adobe projects. This one asked which programme I wished to open it on , and I selected CS5 and it opened CS5 premiere Pro ok and I can edit ok . But none of the icons on the taskbar will operate and no matter which one I click I can only open Premiere Pro with it. I can use dynamic link to go to Encore and make a disc image, but I can't open the iso file nor the means to make a disc. At this stage I should mention tht this PC with Win.7 professional is not connected to a router or modem and therefore is not connected to the internet. After a lot of attempts to operate I have found that Windows Explorer has vanished from the PC. Is this the reason that all the Shortcuts don't work? Is the hard drive Corrupt?. I understand that I can't re-install Windows 7 without losing CS5 altogether as I understand Adobe will not re-activate CS5 once it is uninstalled. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: CS5 big problem

You have no images, e.g. Acronis, or restore points that you could use to get back to where you were before this hit your system?

I believe you can do a repair to Windows if you have a Windows 7 disk, but I have never tried this. There is a detailed account of how to do this here:

Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums

Basically the procedure is:

1a. Insert the Windows 7 DVD or repair disk and restart your computer. Boot from the DVD, press a key if prompted.

1b. Or if the computer can boot you can press F8 instead repeatedly at boot and chose "Repair your computer" then go to step 4.

2. Choose your language and click Next.

3. Click Repair Your Computer and then select the operating system you want to repair.

4. Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

This will work only with a full windows Disk, not an OEM disk, I think.

You can download a Windows system image from Microsoft that you can use to do this.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Edit

Delete post

Report this post

I think I should explain the problem I have. After doing some editing with CS5 Premiere pro I closed down the PC, which is not connected to the internet and is only used for editing CS5. Next morning I re-0pened the PC and found that most of the Short cuts to programmes on the desktop would not work. The only way I could open CS5 was by clicking onto the only Shortcut working, Adobe projects. a message then asked which programme of three did I want to open with and after selecting CS5 the premiere Pro opened OK. I found that I could resume editing normally. I could select Encore via the dynamic link and made An iso file ok. I then could not open the the BD iso files folder to burn a BD disc. All these programmes have shortcuts on the desktop and none of them work. I have now found that I can burn a BD disc by clicking on another desktop shortcut that works and that is Computer, by opening the System C panel I found all the programmes there and by clicking onto IMGBURN, that programme opened and I browsed the files and it found the iso I had made and I successfully burnt the BD Video. The shortcut on the desktop for BD iso files would not open. So it would appear that the problem, whatever it is, won't allow most of the desktop shortcuts to work. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Major Player

From your first post I took it that the damage was more serious than simply missing shortcuts.

In that post, you said that Internet Explorer had "vanished from the PC". Is that still the case?

You can restore your desktop shortcuts from the programs folder by R clicking on the*.exe file for the program and then drag/drop onto the desktop and select Create Shortcut here.

Have you tried a system restore? If you have one from before the problem arose, that would be your simplest way forward.
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Alan for your input. With a friend's help I have now done a system restore and everything is back to normal.
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #6
Major Player

That's great news!

System Restore is generally good, but I have occasionally found that it will not restore to the point that I want.

It pays to use something like Macrium Reflect to make an image of your system drive when it is in working order. If you strike these sorts of problems it is then a simple matter to restore a fully working system there is a free version of Macrium Reflect, which is fully functional for this rescue process.

Some people, even more paranoid than I am, actually clone their system drive to a second spare drive, and then simply swap the drives when trouble hits! They then clone the working system back to the original drive - assuming it is in full working order.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks again Alan. What you suggest about Macrium Reflect is very sound advice and I will try to take it. Cheers
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Acronis true image is also a known and good cloning tool.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite