DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Are people still using Encore? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/529890-people-still-using-encore.html)

Diana Fisk September 29th, 2015 07:01 PM

Are people still using Encore?

Hi everyone

I have the latest version of Premiere on my MacBook and an older version of Premiere and Encore on an iMac. Currently I edit a project on my MacBook, export and take files over to my iMac and create a DVD on Encore. I'm finding this pretty painful.

Are people still using Encore or is there another authoring program that might work as well?

I have looked at installing a previous version of encore on my MacBook to enable me to get premiere but all the instructions I have found for this seem to be out of date..

Help! Please!

Thank you
Diana

Stephen Brenner September 29th, 2015 10:18 PM

Re: Are people still using Encore?

I still use it and haven't felt compelled to find something else.

Robert Young September 29th, 2015 10:54 PM

I use Encore CS 6 fairly frequently to deliver on Blu Ray.
If you are a CC subscriber and have the serial number for CS 6 I think you can still download & activate Encore CS6 from the Adobe site, or maybe via the CC app.

Kyle Root September 30th, 2015 09:01 AM

I still use Encore.

I don't do many projects and since I already know how to use it, I still do. lol

I'm on Adobe CC as well.

Diana Fisk September 30th, 2015 06:11 PM

Ok great thanks for the feedback! I've just downloaded it from CS6 :)

Roy Alexander October 12th, 2015 10:10 AM

I still use encore to make a disc image from CS5 premiere pro. But burn a Blu-ray or DVD disc from the disc image using IMGburn.

Steve Bleasdale October 23rd, 2015 05:02 AM

Encore is the best tops in fact for me...

Nate Haustein October 23rd, 2015 08:11 AM

I much prefer using good old Apple DVD Studio Pro, but for BluRays it's encore. Or I should say, a very specific version of Encore running on a Firewire target drive booted to OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. In other words, encore has been a real headache from day one, but there's not a lot of other options out there from my research.

Patrick Janka October 28th, 2015 10:14 PM

I still use Encore CS6. I'm on CC.

David Barnett May 24th, 2016 07:35 AM

Bumping a bit of an older thread, but it's the same topic so here goes:

I had missing HD space from numerous video folders of weddings I deleted, but noticed they were still being considered as space on my HD, tried many ways to delete them, none seemed to work. That, plus my PC was running a bit slower, I reinstalled Windows 7. All was great, until I went to burn a DVD in Encore (CS4), when I got an error Encode failed. Pretty generic, forums & google searches tell me I need to install a patch via a Roxio link, which I seem to recall doing years ago when I first got CS4, however the links are now dead & only redirect to Corels Home page, I suppose they bought them out.

Anyway, I think my DVD burning ability days are over with CS4, unfortunately, as I really only burn about 7-8 discs a year, but I need to. I mostly do weddings, and while I could probably sway a few onto digital only, I couldn't sway them all. I also have it installed on my laptop, which is upgraded to Win 10, and that receives the same error message, which at least tells me it's not just a Win 7 problem, and it's not a problem with my DVD burner/driver.

So, my options seem to be either buying/leasing ($19/mo) Premiere CC (I've read that it doesn't come with Encore, but I can select "Previous Version", then install CS6 which comes with Encore, then upgrade Premiere to CC. Sounds cumbersome. OR, I could purchase something like Sony DVD Architect or something, 3rd party software. Not ideal, as I'm not sure of the workflow exactly, do I burn to mpeg2/mpeg4 and then insert it into the software and create my menu/chapters etc and burn? It wouldn't inherit the chapter markets would it, do I write down the timeline points? Just seems like an added step in addition to the encoded the file, then importing into the 3rd party software.

Anyway, anyone have any luck with either, or other suggestions. Sucks for such a small nuisance, on the flip side maybe its time. I could look to some Red Giant color corrections to enhance my projects, I feel it's time I improve on that for myself.

Kyle Root May 24th, 2016 07:43 AM

That's an interesting issue. Not sure why you'd have to install a Roxio thing for Adobe to work...

I have Encore 6 on my desktop and Encore 5 on my laptop.

If you're doing any kind of regular work on videos, I think paying the monthly fee for the CC subscription is worth it. I personally like having access to Adobe Acrobat for document creation for clients and also Speedgrade and Audition.

The color correction within Premiere is getting to be very good, and eliminates the need for a lot of 3rd party stuff.

David Barnett May 24th, 2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Root (Post 1915110)
That's an interesting issue. Not sure why you'd have to install a Roxio thing for Adobe to work...

I have Encore 6 on my desktop and Encore 5 on my laptop.

If you're doing any kind of regular work on videos, I think paying the monthly fee for the CC subscription is worth it. I personally like having access to Adobe Acrobat for document creation for clients and also Speedgrade and Audition.

The color correction within Premiere is getting to be very good, and eliminates the need for a lot of 3rd party stuff.

Thanks for that feedback, a bit reassuring to know it's an improved service I'll be receiving. I suppose I should do it, it's time. Didn't know about Speedgrade, with CS4 color correction was sorta primitive & I didn't have a whole lot of time for it(nor did I charge accordingly for it). I did have a quick plugin from RG for it, which when minimized to a low mix and used in small doses worked ok.

As for Roxio, the links were from a few message boards from back in 2011/2012 (keep in mind it's CS4 I had), such as the first post here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/898745 and the last one here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/415044. Not sure exactly what it was, I think I read at one point they had some subcontracted piece to it, and a glitch caused in to not work in Windows 7 which at the time of CS4's release was probably fairly new.

Kyle Root May 24th, 2016 02:44 PM

I'm doing more and more photography as well, so having photoshop and lightroom is a huge benefit to me.

The $50/mo I pay is worth it for me.

Another thing I love is having access to Adobe Typekit, which gives you tons of additional fonts to choose from that you can use in your stuff.

The color correction in the new PP is light years ahead of even where it was like just a year ago.

Billy Horton May 25th, 2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1915108)

So, my options seem to be either buying/leasing ($19/mo) Premiere CC (I\'ve read that it doesn\'t come with Encore, but I can select "Previous Version", then install CS6 which comes with Encore, then upgrade Premiere to CC. Sounds cumbersome. OR, I could purchase something like Sony DVD Architect or something, 3rd party software. Not ideal, as I\'m not sure of the workflow exactly, do I burn to mpeg2/mpeg4 and then insert it into the software and create my menu/chapters etc and burn? It wouldn\'t inherit the chapter markets would it, do I write down the timeline points? Just seems like an added step in addition to the encoded the file, then importing into the 3rd party software.

You should look at TMPGenc Authoring Works 5 TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5. I\'ve been using it for years and I wouldn\'t use anything else after having tried a few others many years ago, Encore included.

Noa Put May 25th, 2016 04:17 PM

+ 1 for tmpgenc authoringworks, eventhough it will not give you the same creative freedom to design menu\'s as Encore will give you it has proven to be rocksolid over the years in my case, never experienced any problem building my dvd\'s and blu-ray\'s.