Production premium CS6 - compatibility with win 10? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 13th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Production premium CS6 - compatibility with win 10?

Currently I have windows 7 pro and use the Adobe production premium CS6 suite.
This works perfectly fine without any issues at all.

Now I am thinking about maybe get the free upgrade to windows 10.
Has anyone experience with CS6 on windows 10? Any issues, and if yes, were you able to solve them?

Over on the adobe forum there seem to be some mixed experiences, especially with Premiere, Photoshop and Audition.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Production premium CS6 - compatibility with win 10?

I have that same software and am on Windows 7 64-bit. I see no reason at all for me to go to Windows 10. I've had updates from Adobe since they went to the CC model, but just don't want to risk screwing up something that's working. "mixed experiences" sounds pretty ominous.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thank you, Mark! I have some of the same thoughts and concerns myself.

Maybe the saying "why fix if it isn't broken", should be followed.
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You could do like I did, I cloned my win7 disk with all it's programs to another disc and did the free upgrade to win 10 on that "new" disk and I"m editing on that one now for testing purposes. If for any reason it wouldn't work I can always connect my win7 disc again and continue working on it, I have win update disabled on win 7 and only go online if I need to update a program, I don't intend to use win update anymore on that one anyway because it's rocksolid without it and probably when I would update now it might deactivate the license again causing other problems.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:30 AM   #5
Major Player

I have recently upgraded from windows 7 to Windows 10 after much thought - really I was keen to get my free copy for possible future use.

To my surprise I found that all my Adobe CS6 programs run perfectly. To my greater surprise they all seem subjectively faster to load and smoother in operation, with no change in hardware.

I am running Premiere, Encore, After Effects, Audition and Photoshop, all CS6 updated with the latest patches.

There were no hitches in the upgrade process, and after a month I have removed the Windows.old folder containing Windows 7.

The process took nearly 2 hours, and you need to ensure that there is sufficient space on the hard drive for what amounts to a double copy of your Windows installation – your Windows7/8 install is saved in case you wish to revert.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven View Post
I have recently upgraded from windows 7 to Windows 10 after much thought - really I was keen to get my free copy for possible future use.
This is probably the main reason I am considering the upgrade. Good to hear all the CS6 works fine for you after upgrading to win 10.
Did you need to reinstall and/or reactivate any of your software after the windows upgrade, or did everything just work fine?

Noa, thanks! Cloning and having a backup is a great idea, especially since I have one laptop only, which is used for everything. If I deside to upgrade windows, I will most likely follow this procedure.
Old July 14th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You could ofcourse also make a image and save that on a separate disk but I find it much easier to just switch disks, I have used the free version of macrium reflect which is perfect for these basic imaging and cloning tasks, only if you want to have more options like encryption or incremental images then you are better off with their payed home edition. I highly recommend the free version for basic tasks though.
Old July 14th, 2016, 02:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thank you! I'll have a look at the Macrium reflect.
Old July 14th, 2016, 02:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Another advantage of imaging vs cloning is that I have had images fail to load from a dvd or a usb with no other option then to reinstall the pc again. If you make a clone to another disk you don't have those problems, that's just plug and play.
Old July 14th, 2016, 02:31 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks again! Imaging and cloning is new territory for me, so I'll definitely go the cloning route.
Old July 14th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #11
Major Player

Trond,

I did not have to do anything! All I did was follow Microsoft screen prompts, then with great trepidation re-booted. Lo and behold, everything worked at least as well as before.

Even my ancient Focusrite USB 1 audio interface works - Focusrite told me it would not, so I had expected to have to buy a Scarlet!

Even Office pro 2003 works.

You need a recent version of Ccleaner, if you use that.

For the first month after install you can roll back painlessly to your previous Windows. I did that last autumn, when my Surface 3 would not play ball with an early version of Windows 10.

I too use Macrium Reflect. I have kept the last Windows 7 version, a couple of Windows 10 + Windows Old, and now a new Windows 10.

To remove the windows.old folder you have to use the new diskclean app with administrator rights.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 04:41 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the comments and advice.
Old July 25th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Just a follow up:
I upgraded to win 10 and so far it seems like the Adobe CS6 software works fine. Have tested Premiere, Photoshop, Audition, Encore and Media encoder.

Side notes:
Cineform HD Link also works fine.

Only issues I had, was with MS Office 2016, which refused to accept the serial key the first couple days.
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Inner Circle

You may also want to use Shutup10 and /or Anti-Beacon to shut off the telemetry etc. I also agree that WIN10 seems to make the programs a little snappier in operation. For me that is also CS6 Production Suite, Vegas12, Sound Forge11 and my main editor EDIUS 8.2WG.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite