USB 3.1 type-C (Gen 2), How crucial for new laptop? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 23rd, 2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Major Player

USB 3.1 type-C (Gen 2), How crucial for new laptop?

Hi I'm shopping for a new laptop for video editing purposes.
I assume I'll be on Windows 10 and editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 and/or After Effects.
Initially I set out to find a laptop with at least one port for USB 3.1 type-C (gen 2, or whatever you call the type that transfers 10 gb/s.
I'm having a hard time finding a laptop that has all the specs I'm looking for, so I'm wondering is it worth giving up on the USB 3.1 type-C port?
Do I really need that extra speed, if I'm editing with the footage and all media files stored on an external USB drive?

So far I've been editing with a USB 3 port and before that I actually used USB 2. Editing went generally fine. So I'm wondering how beneficial the new and fast USB 3.1 type C connection could improve my editing experience. And maybe it would be wise for me to drop the new USB port and by that way expanding the selection of laptops I can choose from.

Thanks!
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: USB 3.1 type-C (Gen 2), How crucial for new laptop?

Adi, hard drives don't even top out the bandwidth of the plain 'ole USB 3.0 port. Unless you are planning on a multi-drive RAID 0 or RAID 5 setup with SSDs. A minimum of a speedy 5-bay RAID (i.e. not Drobo) with enterprise class drives is required to before you start to really need to consider Thunderbolt, and even then, Thunderbolt 1 can handle that.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Gary. Ok, I had a feeling that was the case : )
Thanks!
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:21 PM   #4
Trustee

How long do you expect to keep this laptop, and what's your budget?

I don't see much using USB C right now, and I'm not really worried about it, but I burn through laptops every 18 months or so. If you intended on keeping your laptop for 5 years, I might be more concerned with getting that USB-C. If it goes mainstream in the next 12 months or so (which IMHO is not unreasonable), you will be without USB C for a loooong time,
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 01:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Sager Laptops are getting them. On this 17-incher they're calling it "Thunderbolt 3/SuperSpeed USB 3.1".
Says it's 8 times faster than USB 3.0 at 40Gbps.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP9870-S.html

Edit: Also found this laptop without the combo Thunderbolt 3 --
SuperSpeed USB 3.1 - - "Handle everything with reversible USB 3.1 Type-C port. Maximize your data transfer rate at 10Gbps throughput via USB 3.1 Gen 2 and with ease of connecting your USB devices."

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7259.html

Last edited by Mark Watson; July 24th, 2016 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added info.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Mike and Mark Watson : )
If I'm shelling out $1500+ I hope to use this laptop for at least 4 years.
I'm not looking for the best laptop possible, just something that will handle normal video editing tasks without problems and won't become outdated too quickly.
My wife (and collaborator) has a laptop we purchased just over a year ago - HP Envy, i7 processor, 8GB ram... and currently it has issues with the newest Adobe Premiere Pro update (2015.3). She had to roll back to 2015.2.
So that had me a bit concerned when approaching this upcoming purchase for my laptop.
The one I'm using is almost 5 years old and not really good for anything anymore : /
Thanks
Adi Head is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite