Timeline playback jittery Adobe Premiere CS6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 10th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Timeline playback jittery Adobe Premiere CS6

It seems I have a problem. I have done a search but nothing comes up that matches my problem. I have a project that I am working on. It has been playing great until today. I had just downloaded a Transition program from BestProAction and installed it. At that point when I clicked to play the timeline it was very jittery and not smooth. I did a test project hoping to see if that would correct the problem. No luck. The video used for the project and imported in plays OK outside Premiere. Only when it has been imported into Premiere does the problem occur. I ran a scan for viruses but with no luck. At this point I'm going to wait until Monday to get with my computer tech to see if he can find the problem. I'm thinking that maybe if he can run a scan for Malware and if that fails to do a restore to a an earlier time. If that fails maybe to uninstall then reinstall CS6.

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Thank you Harry.
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Timeline playback jittery Adobe Premiere CS6

You answered your own question. "I had just downloaded a Transition program from BestProAction and installed it." Uninstall it and see what happens.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Donald
Thank you for your suggestion. I did try that with no luck. The item that I bought from BestProAction was
"Transition-10-Light-Flash-Pack". You're right, all my problems started as soon as I imported the transitions in to my project. I took one of the 10 transition which are .mp4 videos. When I over layed it on the video track above my two clips that I wanted to have transition on that's when the problem started. I'm thinking that it somehow changed the playback settings in PPRO CS6. Everything is normal outside of PPRO. Video plays normal etc.Is there anyway that I can restore that original settings in PPRO? Or is there anything that I can check and correct within the software? I realize now, after your post, that the problem developed somewhere
in PPRO C6 when I imported and dragged the Transition video to the timeline.
Again Thanks for your reply.
Harry
BTW: When I render a short video out everything in that rendered video is normal. Playback of the video outside of Premiere. etc. So the timeline playback is the problem.
Here is a video of my problem. Hope it plays.
Sorry bout that. Upload of video failed.
Ok try this.
https://vid.me/sLhK

Last edited by Harry Lender; June 11th, 2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: adding video
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm using Premiere Pro CC and with my old PC a 4K timeline would play fine until I began my edits. Very quickly Premiere Pro began to stutter on playback. My assumption was the PC did not have enough processing power to create real-time previews from the original footage plus the edits. If I rendered the sequence it would then play fine. You may have the same situation with your transitions. Try rendering the sequence and see how it plays.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #5
Major Player

No change.
When I exported a short video out to my desktop everything in that exported video is normal. Playback of the video outside of Premiere. etc. So the timeline playback is the problem.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Harry
Old June 11th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Major Player

What are the specs of your computer?
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Win 7 Pro
Service pack 1

Processor Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHZ 3.50GHZ

Installed Mem (RAM) 16.0 GB

SYS Type 64-bit Operating Sys

Pen and Touch NoPen or Touch is Available for This Display
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Did you "Sequence -> Render In to Out" or Sequence -> Render Effects In to Out"? It may make a difference. Do you have red lines over parts of the timeline? Your system is very much like my old PC that struggled playing the timeline after applying edits and effects.

Last edited by Luke Miller; June 12th, 2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes I did all that but it made no difference. Playing on the time is still jerky and slow. After rendering there are green lines over the rendered areas. I can export a piece of the timeline out and that piece will play at the correct speed..perfectly. Remember I'm saying that it's playing outside of Premiere after exporting it, not inside. The exact point in time when the problem started was when I overlayed the transition clip on the track above the two clips that I wanted the transition on. I found out later that the mp4 transition clip was not supported in CS6. Long story short anything on the timeline does not play correctly. Movies exported out plays ok. Outside of the program. But if I was to import it back into Premiere and place it on the timeline it too would not play correctly. This just may be my opportunity to upgrade to CC and maybe to Windows 10. Just thinking out loud. I'm open to any idea's.
Thanks for all the input.
Old June 13th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

If you have a green line over the entire portion of the timeline you are trying to play in CC6, then my understanding is Premiere Pro "thinks" it can play it properly. With my old PC I would have the yellow line, indicating it may or may not play properly. My native 4K files would, but as soon as I made edits they would not. If I had a green line I had no problems. I wonder if it is a graphics card issue? Are you running with the latest drivers for your card? And what are your preference settings for playback?

Now that I think about it - If Windows can play the exported file, but Premiere Pro cannot, it almost has to be a setting in Premiere Pro since both are using the same graphics card. What card are you using?
And what is your setting under "Project Settings -> General -> Video Rendering and Playback"? Also, the setting under "Preferences -> Memory"?

Last edited by Luke Miller; June 13th, 2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Additional thought
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Luke,
I checked all that you had suggested. Everything was ok. My Graphic card is,
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 and up to date.
My software is Premiere Pro CS6.

BTW are you operating Premiere Pro CC? If you are what are the Pro's and Con's. Where did you purchase it? And how much is your subscription?
I'm starting to put out some feelers to find out how much I'll have to pay.

I've been in contact with Adobe Forums with no luck there as to my situation.
Anyway Thanks for you input.
Harry
Old June 13th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I am on CC and Windows 10. I did not notice any performance change in Premiere Pro CC between Windows 7 64bit and upgrading to Windows 10 64bit. We have a small photo and video business and use 6 or 7 seven of the Adobe applications, so we have the subscription to the full CC Suite. The $49.95 monthly subscription is way too much for non-business use, but worth it for us. What I like about Premiere Pro CC 2017 are the new color controls. As a still photographer I use Lightroom and Premiere Pro CC Lumetri Color effect gives me essentially the same editing tools I use in Lightroom, which really speeds up editing for me. Several projects recently involved mult-camera footage and I think CC has more advanced features there over CS6.

I'm assuming you are using the Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accelleration (CUDA) option rather than the Mercury Playback Engine (Software Only) and Memory is set to Optimize Rendering for: Performance. So CS6 should easily play your timeline if fully rendered. Particularly if the Windows embedded media player will.
Old June 13th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the information. I would love to move to PPRO CC but that may be to expensive. I was in the video business, Weddings and such, a few years ago but now I'm getting too old, 75. So now I'm doing some Bus Training video's for First Student Transportation. I'm checking around to see if I can get PPR CC for less. If not and I reinstall CS6 with WIN 10 hopefully that should take care of Playback problem. My Computer Tech told me my OS SYS was 4 yrs old so that may be a problem also. That will have to be upgraded also. All this probably is happening for a good reason. I knew eventually I was going to have to do it.
Again I really appreciate your help.
Thank You so much.
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite