Upgrading to Win 10 PPRO CC & Dual Boot SYS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 17th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Upgrading to Win 10 PPRO CC & Dual Boot SYS

I'm am seriously considering upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 and upgrading from PPRO CS6 to CC.
After researching as much as I can and realizing that Win 7 is on the way out in the very near future. Also that PPRO CC offers allot in the software that can improve video editing I'm throwing this out there to get as many ideas and opinions from everyone that I can before making the move.
I've heard allot about the advantages, Pro's and Con's, of making my system Dual Booting. Partitioning my Hard Drives, Etc. I'm pretty much a novice at all this and I'm working with a computer tech who built my original Computer which performed great. Now it's time to move on. Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to everyone in advance.
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Upgrading to Win 10 PPRO CC & Dual Boot SYS

I think Dual Boot can very useful in some circumstances. For example I had a dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7 setup that let me continue to use my legacy film scanners that were not supported in Windows 7 or 10. I'm unsure of the benefit of a dual boot Windows 7 - Windows 10 setup.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Luke:
Thanks so much. You posted on my previous Thread I do appreciate your information. I'm leaning in that direction.
Best
Harry
Old June 17th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Major Player

I have W10 running on an old i7/940 machine. Rock solid.
Running CS6, 2015 and 2017 (and 4K footage)
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Harry, it is probably a good time to migrate to Windows 10. The majority of the early bugs have been worked out. Yes, you can dual boot the machine, I used to do this routinely. You didn't mention if it was a laptop or desktop. If a desktop, you could just put a new hard disk in the machine along with your old one, and load Windows 10 and your new software. Remember, by dual booting you will have to buy (or reload) all your software. Depending on your hardware BIOS there are a couple of ways to do it. I simply booted into BIOS, chose the drive to boot off of and let the machine boot to the correct drive I wanted.

I am not a fan of partitioning, but lots of folks do it. Drives are so cheap these days it's seems not worth doing. You will have to reformat the whole drive anyway, and if the drive dies, you lose both your instances of Windows.

Probably the best idea is to get an SSD and load the OS and some of your apps on it, then load data on all other drives. Don't forget that your older version of Windows you have will still need to be upgraded over time, for security fixes, etc. And the software on it.

Good luck
Old June 18th, 2017, 12:33 AM   #6
Major Player

I have W10 running on a 7 year old laptop, and a new Intel 6900K system with no problems.

I use Premiere, Encore, Audition, After Effects and Photoshop CS6 on both machines. The ancient laptop is desperately slow, but neither system ever crashes, and editing with CS6 on the new fast machine is a delight.

I value stability way above bells and whistles, so CC is not for me.

If you are happy with CS6, I would go for windows 10 and stick to CS6.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
I have W10 running on an old i7/940 machine. Rock solid.
Running CS6, 2015 and 2017 (and 4K footage)
Hi Ann
Thanks for that Info. Definitely going to Win 10 but still a question on going to CC. Might stay with CS6. Gotta weigh it back and forth between the two.
Anyway Thanks so much for your info.
Harry.
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
Harry, it is probably a good time to migrate to Windows 10. The majority of the early bugs have been worked out. Yes, you can dual boot the machine, I used to do this routinely. You didn't mention if it was a laptop or desktop. If a desktop, you could just put a new hard disk in the machine along with your old one, and load Windows 10 and your new software. Remember, by dual booting you will have to buy (or reload) all your software. Depending on your hardware BIOS there are a couple of ways to do it. I simply booted into BIOS, chose the drive to boot off of and let the machine boot to the correct drive I wanted.

I am not a fan of partitioning, but lots of folks do it. Drives are so cheap these days it's seems not worth doing. You will have to reformat the whole drive anyway, and if the drive dies, you lose both your instances of Windows.

Probably the best idea is to get an SSD and load the OS and some of your apps on it, then load data on all other drives. Don't forget that your older version of Windows you have will still need to be upgraded over time, for security fixes, etc. And the software on it.

Good luck
Al;
Thanks for your info. Definitely gives me a lot to think about. I appreciate DVinfo more and more.
I still have some time. Probably in July is when I'll make the move.
Again Thank you. Much appreciated.
Harry
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #9
Major Player

BTW. I forgot to mention that my Computer is a PC.
Old June 18th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven View Post
I value stability way above bells and whistles, so CC is not for me.
If you don't run CC on either of your two machines, then how do you know you're giving up stability with it?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #11
Major Player

When I get ready what is the best way to Uninstall PPRO CS6 and save all my old project files?
I'm still thinking about Reinstalling CS6 or going to CC. Still haven't made a decision.
Thanks in advance.
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Major Player

I just did the upgrade to W10 (not the full install)
Never had to reinstall anything of the Adobe programs.
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #13
Major Player

to Ann: Yes, my update of the roughly 10 Dell laptops and one Dell desktop only encountered one machine with problems. I did upgrade the RAM on all the machines, and recommend as much as a persons machine might take, I've found that 32 GBs of RAM for Pr and add ons is a good starting point. 16 is too small for many except those working in single camera. Microsoft has done a great job on the upgrade. What you need to do before upgrading, is check the machine's BIOS and make sure you have installed the most current update if there is one. I also update the video drivers prior to the upgrade as well. The manufacturer's web site will list the updates available for the specific model of machine. By doing that you limit your exposure to Blue Screens of Death, which are almost always hardware related.
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lender View Post
When I get ready what is the best way to Uninstall PPRO CS6 and save all my old project files?
I'm still thinking about Reinstalling CS6 or going to CC. Still haven't made a decision.
Harry, if you are actually going to upgrade to Windows 10, then you don't need to uninstall anything, as Ann says. If you setup a second drive you can keep running CS6 on the original drive it's on, and load CC onto the new drive. When you do, please make sure that on updates you look for the option to leave the older version in place. The default is to eliminate it and upgrade. There is a check box if I remember right to allow you to do a side by side installation, rather than what's called an "over the top" installation.

Since you say you are a newbie, why not post your machines specs for us to think about. We might have a reasonable suggestion based on that. How much RAM are you running, what video card, etc.
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:29 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lender View Post
Thanks in advance.
If you use Encore don't uninstall it since CS6 was the last version and it is not part of Premiere Pro CC. For a long time I kept both CS6 and CC installed because I had a MainConcept plugin in CS6 that was not compatible with CC. Both programs resided happily.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite