DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   New PP CC 2017 washed out export (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/534930-new-pp-cc-2017-washed-out-export.html)

Paul Cronin November 10th, 2017 03:30 PM

New PP CC 2017 washed out export

I have been using PP CC 2017 since it came out and have not had this problem. Hundreds of videos and all looked the same as my calibrated monitor. Now for the first time today when I am on a rush to get out 12 videos to a client they are all washed out.

I use a export preset that has never failed me on export. Are others finding the same problem? Very disturbing.

Mac Pro (Fast trashcan)
PP CC 2017.01 v11.0.1 6 build

Gary Huff November 10th, 2017 04:48 PM

Re: New PP CC 2017 washed out export

Washed out in what software? You have to playback your render in something.

Seth Bloombaum November 12th, 2017 10:24 AM

I’ve never experienced this in Premiere, but lessons from other NLEs suggest that somewhere in the chain is a wrong gamma setting. This can occur in a few ways.

It could be that a LUT was applied to monitoring, but not rendering, if original footage is Log.

It could be that some other output colorspace setting was munged in a preset. Rec 709, BT 2020, sRGB... your old dependable preset might just be different, bugs happen.

It may be that the source footage is different for this project than previous projects. Or, that Premiere misinterpreted the footage. Or, that sequence settings didn’t match the footage.

Sorry for the laundry list, you’ve probably already eliminated some of those possibilities. In any case, the solution should be found by tracking the workflow from start to finish with a couple kinds of footage (just short clips), trying some alternate paths, see if you can reproduce the problem at will. That narrows in on where to apply a fix.

Of course if the preset got munged in the update it may be best to just build a new preset, checking every setting. But, it’s hard to know if that’s what’s needed without testing from the start of the workflow.

And, it could be Adobe’s problem. Your testing should reveal that, too. And, what Gary pointed out; your clips can be misinterpreted by the video player as well.

Paul Cronin November 12th, 2017 11:24 AM

Gary, Seth,

I appreciate both of your responses. Took a couple of days away from the screens, which is always a good thing even when very busy. And it came to me while out with friends. FX Factory is one of the plugins I use had loaded trial color settings. And I looked at one, so Seth you were spot on, it changed the output.

I removed everything from them, that I do not use, and things seem back in order. Will know fully when I try and output the videos again and double check tomorrow.

Gary, I look at the videos in Quicktime which I have always used for web videos, and it has not been updated since last Dec. I try and stay stable till the end of the year when I do only updates, which I think are worth it.

If it gets wacky again I might be back for more input, but for now I seem back on track.

Gary Huff November 12th, 2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1938410)
Gary, I look at the videos in Quicktime which I have always used for web videos, and it has not been updated since last Dec.

I tend to use VideoLAN (VLC) for looking at rendered content. I find things can be incorrect sometimes when viewed in QuickTime that doesn't reflect the final upload to YouTube/Vimeo/Wistia/etc.

Robert Young November 12th, 2017 08:41 PM

Paul
Thanks for reporting back. It's a good lesson for me.
It is always a shock to look at a "routine" render and see something totally wacky.
Like, hmm... where do I start??

Paul Cronin November 13th, 2017 06:06 AM

Gary,

I will give (VCL) a try again. I used it years ago but I bug made me switch to QT. It would be nice to have the final render out on the computer look like exactly like the YT version.

I added VCL and see no difference in the footage. Also both VCL and QT are off as we all know from YT. This is why I use Vimeo, but clients want YT for the exposure.

Robert,
Yup, we keep cranking along and wack, a change happens without us knowing why, and days are lost. Part of the business. For me getting away from it tends to help me solve it, but not always.

Will report back when I know the delivered videos are right.

Paul Cronin November 13th, 2017 10:15 AM

OK, deep in it and I found the problem. Adobe had updated without me saying OK. It was bugging me for months to update and I kept saying, NO. In the middle of three projects and they are on going. Also as I said above, I only update in Dec each year, unless there is a major bug that needs fixing. Remember we are talking about Adobe. I think the software is great, but it is software.

So now I have had to re-calibrate my three monitors, and go back through all my settings in timeline, export, and all seems well again. My old export preset is just fine.

Be warned PP CC 2017 might update without you saying yes. Some of you might already know this, but it was the first time it happened to me.

Gary Huff November 13th, 2017 12:29 PM

I guarantee you that Premiere CC 2017 does not update without you clicking to do so.

Paul Cronin November 13th, 2017 12:35 PM

I felt the same until this happen. Then I talked with a computer programmer I know and he said yes, since you are on the CC, and say no for a long time, it could update.

I always felt the same as you, that it would never happen without me saying yes.

Paul Cronin November 14th, 2017 06:24 AM

Gary,

Only I have access to my computer, and I did not approve an update.

Let me explain. The update was not a new version of PP CC 2017, it was a change. And by the way the programer has had the same thing happen to him. To say he does not know what he is doing is a comment you should not make when you do not know him. One of the many things I do not like about forums, everyone knows better without any proof.

Being on the CC if you do not update for a long time, some apps will not run properly, so they have to adjust things to make that happen. Remember you are on their system. Try running PP CC 2017 not being on line for over a month, won't happen. And both of these I have been told by Adobe support, since I go off line for over a month at a time every summer, and have been told to log in to get back in the app. Now why is that?

Have you ever gone a year without updating PP CC in the last three years? Or try to go off line running PP CC 2017 for more then a month?

I alway appreciate when people help on this forum, and I try to do the same when I have experience with the problem. But to just make negative statements about people when you do not know them is wrong. OK, enough of that, lets move on, since I know you have helped a lot of people on this forum which is greatly appreciated.

Gary Huff November 14th, 2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1938486)
The update was not a new version of PP CC 2017, it was a change.

You need to be clearer about what you mean about this. You clicked through to accept the initial upgrade back in October to Premiere Pro CC 2017, and now there was a "change"? What change?

Quote:

And by the way the programer has had the same thing happen to him. To say he does not know what he is doing is a comment you should not make when you do not know him. One of the many things I do not like about forums, everyone knows better without any proof.
Proof is only for mathematics. Does your programmer friend currently maintain an active subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud? Or is he basing this on an experience with Windows 10 where it downloaded the files to upgrade older Windows versions? Without details, he could be extrapolating from a completely different experience unassociated with anything released to Creative Cloud and just assuming it's the same.

My evidence is that I'm in the middle of a project and wish to upgrade to High Sierra and CC 2017 once a few bug fix releases of High Sierra have been released. I have been sitting on the notifications to update to CC 2017 since it was released nearly a month ago. It has not installed it for me, nor will it until I click through to accept the install.

Quote:

Being on the CC if you do not update for a long time, some apps will not run properly, so they have to adjust things to make that happen. Remember you are on their system. Try running PP CC 2017 not being on line for over a month, won't happen.
This is merely "phoning home", not an update. Creative Cloud doesn't install anything, it merely sets an option that says it successfully phoned home on such and such date. That's it. When you phone home to Adobe's activation servers, it doesn't change the software on your machine.

Paul Cronin November 14th, 2017 08:57 AM

Gary,
I appreciate you trying to help, but I am all set for now. And I do not use Windows I use Mac.

We disagree on a few items and that is fine. I have solved my issue.

Gary Huff November 14th, 2017 09:03 AM

The only thing I can think of that your programmer friend is getting confused on is because Windows 10 was downloading the pre-install files to perform an upgrade. This caused a bit of a kerfuffle a year ago. I merely assume he figured it was the same thing with Creative Cloud, which I would suspect was the case if your friend did not currently have an active Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

Gary Huff November 14th, 2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1938498)
That is fine, we each knows what happens on our machines. Lets end this since it is going nowhere.

Paul, I am very disappointed in your attitude. You appear to be very knowledgable about boats, and if I was saying something that flew in the face of your extensive experience with them and their operation, I have no doubt you would try to correct me. And if I stated that I had a friend who worked for a company that manufactured sails who said that I was right, you would probably correctly assume that my friend was also not as experienced as yourself.

How would you feel in that situation if I took on the same attitude and just said that, "We each knows what happens on our boats."?

As a final piece of evidence, I'm helping out with post on a film that has the workstation frozen at CC 2015. It remains CC 2015, even though it's connected to the Internet. It still has to phone home every month, but Adobe hasn't updated it without anyone's consent.