Premiere Project Manager cannot find file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 22nd, 2019, 02:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Premiere Project Manager cannot find file

I have been trying to archive my project using Project Manager (CC2018) but keep getting an error that it cannot find a specific audio file and somewhat stupidly as a result, the whole archiving process fails.

I have looked carefully at the file name and found what I thought was the issue i.e. I stupidly used a colon (:) in the file name when I bounced it out of another programme (Logic). When I imported the file into Premiere it kept the colon but at some point the actual file was renamed by my system (Mac OS) replacing the colon with a forwards slash. Premiere had no problem still linking to the file however. So, I renamed the file in the Premiere bin and all instances in the timeline (and also a few similarly named files) and ran the Project Manager again. And . . . exactly the same problem occurred despite the fact that as far as I can see there is now no file name anywhere within Premiere or on my hard drive with a colon in it. So I have no idea why Premiere is still looking for this file.

Anyone got any idea how to solve this issue? The annoying thing is it takes a good hour before it gets to the problem file so the whole process of trying to solve this is incredibly time consuming. I could archive manually but the files are in different locations on various drives so that is problematic.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Premiere Project Manager cannot find file

Try checking file properties from the bin and compare everything from the drive letter through the location path and file name to the actual location of the file. If it is an exact match it should work. Premier gets picky about files that get changed once they are imported.

Project Manager is known to have bugs. All effects (especially 3rd party) are not supported by Project Manager. I was recently trouble shooting a bug myself. I found a statement by Adobe on their website that surprised me. "blank, blank, blank may cause Project Manager to do weird things." Straight from Adobe.

Your answer might be here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premi...9260441#M93421

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old November 22nd, 2019, 03:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Steven I will try that.

That linked list is a bit frightening - no mono files??
Old November 22nd, 2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Trustee

That post is from CC 2017. Hopefully all those bugs are still not there.

SD
Old November 22nd, 2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Btw I wonder if checking the 'Rename Media Files to Match Clip Names' would help? I didn't use that as I actually wanted it to be the other way round.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 02:57 AM   #6
Major Player

I got it to work but I don't really know how.

I ended up checking 'Rename Media Files to Match Clip Names' and unchecking copy audio conform files so it must be between one of those. What I did notice is that the offending file has been renamed without the / symbol (which the Mac had replaced the : symbol with).
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite