Premiere pro - where to put VSTs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 19th, 2024, 02:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Premiere pro - where to put VSTs?

Anyone know where to put VSTs so they load with Premiere?

I have found several possible folders but none of the VSTs in them load anyway. The only ones that do are the standard Apple AU ones and they are hidden away somewhere and are not accessible.

Funny thing is when I go to the Plugin manager under Audio prefs and search I can see various plugins whizz by but none ever load, only the Apple AU ones. I also tried putting some VSTs in a new folder and pointing the plugin search to that folder but got nothing.

I am baffled. My machine has loads of third party VSTs (and AU plugins) installed but none of them appear in Premiere no matter what I do except the standard Apple AUs. What's the issue?
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2024, 12:21 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Premiere pro - where to put VSTs?

My experience on Windows is that VST audio plugins are installed on an operating system level.

Such as:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Even then, you need to tell Adobe Audition to scan to detect plugins, enabling the newly added to be found. Not sure what the story will be for Premiere as I don't used it for messing with audio.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2024, 02:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, it is all very similar on the Mac. But nothing works and I cannot get Premiere so load any VSTs at all despite saying 'look, here they all are!'

What is frustrating is that I cannot find any useful documentation on the matter from Adobe.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2024, 05:59 AM   #4
Trustee

The following is related to Waves VST plugins on both PC and Mac for both Premiere and Audition, but should be fully applicable to any "brand" of VST plugin. Maybe worth a look?

Chris Young

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to...adobe-audition

Also check this out if you are on Prem v24

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premi...idi-p/14185238
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2024, 08:08 AM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

Not sure which version of software you are using, but if you're like me and on Premiere etc CS6 (like a true non rent paying luddite) then only 32-bit plugins are supported and not 64-bit. Took me a while to get to the bottom of that one and why a new plugin simply refused to show.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2024, 07:31 PM   #6
Trustee

Andrew makes a good point about 32 and 64 bit plugs. I ran into this issue a number of years back. Resolve for example won't support 32-bit plugins. So I keep an earlier Sound Forge installed which has some of my most popular 32-bit plugs.

If this is your problem, there is a workaround. You can use a utility like "jBridge" which allows the use of 32-bit plugs in a 64-bit world.

Chris Young.

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite