Can't load new projects on old and vice versa at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 22nd, 2024, 04:01 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Can't load new projects on old and vice versa

Last night in a hurry, I edited a quick project on my macbook. Today through the NAS, I tried to load the file into my windows system and discovered the message this was produced on a newer version of premiere. The snag is the version on the PC is the latest it can run, because it's 3 years old. So I installed premiere on an older mac that runs Sonora happily, It refuses to load it either, so I've had to install it on my backup macbook - which runs it but I've discovered there is no option for saving in the older format.

Has anyone discovered a work around for this - it's a major pain no longer having machine to machine operation, unless I buy a new PC!
I'm going to have to lose the latest version of Premiere on all the machines to restore the work from multiple machine I've always done!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:46 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Can't load new projects on old and vice versa

I for one am once again so humbly glad I refused to 'rent' and am recalcitrantly sticking with Premiere CS6 until it won't install/work on Windows any longer. So far I'm up to Win 10 and still perfectly happy.

I'd honestly hate to be stuck in your predicament. I can only hope the people behind Davinci Resolve will write a plugin to import Premiere projects over and be done with it once and for all. Davinci Resolve will be the only upgrade I ever do from Premiere.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2024, 02:03 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Last night in a hurry, I edited a quick project on my macbook. Today through the NAS, I tried to load the file into my windows system and discovered the message this was produced on a newer version of premiere. The snag is the version on the PC is the latest it can run, because it's 3 years old. So I installed premiere on an older mac that runs Sonora happily, It refuses to load it either, so I've had to install it on my backup macbook - which runs it but I've discovered there is no option for saving in the older format.

Has anyone discovered a work around for this - it's a major pain no longer having machine to machine operation, unless I buy a new PC!
I'm going to have to lose the latest version of Premiere on all the machines to restore the work from multiple machine I've always done!
Paul.

Try "downgrading" your project. Might work with a few caveats, which are covered in the following video.

Chris Young

Downgrader for Premiere

Premiere Pro Downgrader

The video

Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2024, 02:17 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
I for one am once again so humbly glad I refused to 'rent' and am recalcitrantly sticking with Premiere CS6 until it won't install/work on Windows any longer. So far I'm up to Win 10 and still perfectly happy.

I'd honestly hate to be stuck in your predicament. I can only hope the people behind Davinci Resolve will write a plugin to import Premiere projects over and be done with it once and for all. Davinci Resolve will be the only upgrade I ever do from Premiere.

Andrew
Again. With certain caveats such as unrecognised wipes etc. this is all very doable between any NLE that supports XML exports. Such as Premiere, Final Cut, Vegas Pro etc. I was doing it on a fairly regular basis for grading but don't do it much these days as I am now almost 100% Resolve. IMHO, the quicker you move to Resolve Studio the better I would suggest. I'll never go back... even if Resolve goes to a subscription model.

Chris Young

Old May 23rd, 2024, 11:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I’m going to have a look at the downgrader as soon as I’m in the office and quiet. Thanks
Old May 24th, 2024, 01:09 AM   #6
Trustee

Good one! Let us know how you go. Always a good sort of info to file away if something like this works.

Chris
Old May 25th, 2024, 12:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Chris it works perfectly! Thanks very much. Paul
Old May 25th, 2024, 09:10 PM   #8
Trustee

Great stuff! Good one, Paul :)

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite