16:9 for 4:3 TV Broadcast. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 20th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #1
Major Player

16:9 for 4:3 TV Broadcast.

I have been seeing commercials where it has been shot in 16:9 and broadcast in 4:3 letterbox, in the black areas there is text.

I would like to do this in Premiere; do I import the 16:9 clips into a 4:3 project?
Or is there a better way?

Thank you.
Bill
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I shoot and edit in widescreen, then export my finished movie as a 1.2 widescreen file. I import that exported file into a 4:3 project, and scale it down until it fits.

There has to be an easier way to do it, but this isn't that bad.

Good luck.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Shrinking footage and showing black borders

Why not lay down black video as the bottom layer, then use Motion/Scale to shrink your footage in the layer above. You are then free to add titles or photoshop layers to get the text in the black areas. Laying black underneath is the way to scale stills that might not cover the entire frame.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
I have been seeing commercials where it has been shot in 16:9 and broadcast in 4:3 letterbox, in the black areas there is text.

I would like to do this in Premiere; do I import the 16:9 clips into a 4:3 project?
Or is there a better way?

Thank you.
Bill
If you're going to edit 16:9 for a final product in 4:3, then yes, export the final footage in 16:9 back into a 4:3 project and then re-export it as a final file, you'll have LB bars added by Premier.

I do something when I export for DVD for my customers where I edit and export the project in 16:9 then when I do the MPG conversion in TMPGenc, then I start a Sony DVD Archietect project and set the 16:9 bit on the DVD so that it forces the LB bit on the customers player and they see 4:3 with LB or full 16:9, works flawlessly as long as they know to setup their DVD player correctly.

ML
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you for the help!

Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite