Premiere Pro 2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 24th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Premiere Pro 2.0

Hey everyone, so have you guys started to use this new version yet? Any testimonials? my only question is, does it still do the conforming audio stuff? Is it more stable? Any info/reviews would be great.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Also, how does the color correction compare to that of Vegas 6? Anyone used the multi-cam feature?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Most audio does not need to be conformed. A Peak file is still created in order to display it on the timeline. It talkes a while, but there are no more huge conformed audio files for audio brought is at the same rate as the project.

It is stable.

Color correction is good, and secondary color correction was added. But I am not sure any program can match color correction in Vegas.
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Only thing I'd like to know is how does it work with 24p now? This was one thing that got me throwing the towel on this app, being an XL2 owner and frequent 24p shooter, as it was just a complete mess.

Working with 24p and 60i video in the same timeline was just horrible.

There was also no way to adjust and control your frame rate settings on the fly like you could in Vegas.

But most troubling of all, there was no way to export back to tape a true 2:3:3:2 24p sequence, as when I tried to export it to tape, I would get audio parasites throughout the whole sequence. Little random poping and crackling sounds. That meant exporting everything back to standard 60i DV and losing the ability to remove the extra frames if imported back again. Didn't get this problem with 30p or 60i video and the problem repeated on 2 different computers (Intel and AMD) so I doubt it was hardware related. Now THAT is one major issue I hope has been addressed.

On top of that the export movie option with the DV 24p advanced setting would just mean no other NLE was recognizing the footage as proper 24p video with corresponding pulldown removal flags. The codec wasn't doing a good job re-encoding the footage with the 2:3:3:2 pulldown.

Lots of issues with 24p. All the new additions like multicam are nice, but if the bugs haven't been fixed, it's a pretty pointless upgrade as far as I'm concerned.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Trustee

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I read a post from someone I trust who said that the 24p problem was solved.
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Does the version 2.0 takes more memory or resources then the 1.5.1?
Because now I have a smooth running system. I don't want to screw my environment.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #7
New Boot

from what i seen, it does. but not in all cases.
Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor for HDV; dual Intel Xeon™ 2.8GHz processors for HD
2GB of RAM for HDV and HD
with the ability to do muliticam, you would need memmory and a fast drive to
keep from lagging.
Pny GeForce 5700ve 256mb
nec nd2500 dvdrw
160gb hd (AVI)
111gb capture drive
80gb Main drive
windows xp pro sp2
adobe-photoshop cs2
premiere pro 1.5.1 and 2.0
encore dvd 2.0, after effects pro 2.0
Felix Valeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=44468

I haven't tried output back to tape tho. Sold my deck for upcoming HVX.
Phil Hover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #9
Trustee

Wait! Somebody just brought up an unknown issue for me!

Does PPro 1.5.1 have known 24p problems? Specifically, the 24p used by the DVX 100b?
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #10
Trustee

I found it by accident!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58506
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Pp 2.0

I started another thread on this, but I ordered PP 2.0 from Video Guys. Anxious to try it out, I also downloaded trial version. It had no HDV preset, so I though I had done something wrong in install. I uninstalled, but it won't do that completely. I tried reinstall, that won't work either. When I try to run program after the reinstall, it says version is not registered, and won't start the program... anyone got any idea what to do ? And why no HDV ?
Old January 28th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #12
Major Player

i just got the demo on one of my comps, and unfortunately found out that adobe still does its conforming audio crap. That is seriously annoying as heck.... I have around 17 hours worth of footage, and it wants to conform every single one of them... Especially when i dont even care for the field audio..
This feature also kills the portability of editing between various computers, because I have the raw footage on external HDs, and my scratch disks are set locally on one of my partitions. So that means, if I switch to a diff comp with the same project file, it'l reconform the footage... WHY??? To me, this is where Final Cut wins..
Old January 28th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #13
Wrangler

Spike, I haven't gotten the upgrade yet but others who are using it seem to feel that the time hit for audio conforming has been markedly improved. Not so? In any case, if you don't need the field audio, why capture it? If you only need the video, just capture that; the software won't conform what it doesn't see.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi, i haven't noticed the conforming audio time improvement because as soon as i saw it conforming the audio, i got ticked and shut it off. takes upway too much disk space! My past project is already captured with video/audio so I can't do anything about that..

It probably is a lot quicker, but my other concern is, it makes life very difficult as Its harder to edit on 2 separate rigs on the same project file, unless you conform audio onto the external HDs etc etc... My point is, why not have the option to select conforming or turn it off.. Argh, maybe a patch, someday!
Old January 28th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Downloaded the trial version. Color correction tools are nice. Night and day with 1.5.

But I have no ability to burn a DVD or export to MPEG-2 using Adobe Media Encoder. I understand this is a demo but it would have been nice to be able to see if there are improvements on that front. Just put a watermark, it's not that complicated. Anyways...

I'll try to export some 24p footage back to tape in order to find out if they fixed the bad audio issue. I'll report on it later.

EDIT: Forget it, can't export to tape either. This demo's useless or close to it.

Anybody got the full version and can test those aspects?
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite