Lighting with Ultra at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 1st, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
New Boot

Lighting with Ultra

I would like to know the best and cheapes way of doing lighting for using the green screen. I did see something about tube lights but can not find it now.

Ayone with some suggestions please let me know.

jkerry@charter.net

Tks,
Jeff
Jeff Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:45 AM   #2
New Boot

I think this may be looking for. I haven't tried it but it sounds good.

http://www.digitalpostproduction.com...e.jsp?id=31427
Randy Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Ultra 2 is pretty amazing....

Jeff - We did some tests using "Ultra" last week, where we took some really bad dark green cloth (it was all crumpled up). We lit it with 2 small Dedolights creating pretty bad shadows and then lit our head and shoulders shot about 3 feet from this background.... (yes... broke every rule in the book) Ultra 2 did an amazing job of dealing with it in less than 1 minute!
We just wanted to see how the software would deal with this.

We have been doing a lot of tests this week with various software and lighting set ups using "proper" green and blue screens for studio and location work - we have been looking at trying to get a very quick way of getting difficult interviews on location - hence the test above.

I am not advocating sloppy work, but it is very intersesting what you can get away with these days using the likes of Ultra and DVMatte Pro.

However - much will depend on the type of work you are doing.

Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use fluorescent light.

Light the background seperately from the talent. you can use cardboard or whatever to keep any light from these spilling onto the talent. The goal for this part is to light your green screen exclusively and evenly.

Get the talent as far forward as you can from the background.

Light the talent with flo's too - they are not HOT and your talent will love you.

You can buy it all at home depot. Doesn't get much cheaper. Works extremely well.
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for all the assistance. We be trying them out this week-end.

Jeff
Jeff Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Tourist

We just used ordinary flourescents on cheap green cloth

Jeff,
We have been astounded at how forgiving Ultra has been. Go to:
http://nlemedia.com/Design.htm and click on the "Video" segment. It's all green screen. We are very pleased with the results.

Greg
nlemedia.com
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The "key" to ultra is grabbing a few seconds of video prior to your subject entering the sreeen. This allows the system to "read" the background including all its imperfections. The other thing is to make sure your camera exposure and settings are on manual so nothing changes after your subject enters the the screen.

As far as lighting, if you can swing it, the system benefits from three or more light sources. Ideally, a mainlight light offset to one side, a fill on the other somewhat spatially higher, a back/hair light setting the subject off from the backgraound and at least one wide backdrop light. This will give you outstanding results. Lighting is critical in keying!
Jerry Matese is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite