Color Correction: Premiere vs. AE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Color Correction: Premiere vs. AE

Which one is better for CC? I've tried Premiere 1.5.1, and Color Finesse in AE 6.5. AE takes a god-awful long time to render, compared to Premiere. Is there an advantage to using AE over PPro for color correction?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Trustee

For simple things like Levels and Curves, I see no reason to use Color Finesse. Reserve that for hairy situations that call for HSL, YCbCr, or otherwise drastic changes (rather than a simple white balance). It also boasts a 32-bit floating-point engine, for increased accuracy. You can read an old comparison of CF with AE here.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Not sure about version 2 of PPro and AE 7, but with Ppro 1.5 and AE 6.0 if you color corrected with basic tools such as levels, curves, etc in Ppro and then imported the project into AE, the color correction settings were NOT maintained, so unless the latest versions now do this, you will most likely have to do all in one or the other. Can anybody verify that PPro 2 and AE 7 have this integration?

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Let me continue this one in a slightly different direction, in AVID Pro HD 5, there is a feature that allows you to match multiple camera sources, say you have one cam that was white balanced and others that were not and you intercut the footage, you can have the software do a correction on the fly which based on the demo that I saw was really neat.

Is there anything similar in AE? I know that PRO 2.0 doesn't have it. Only reason that I ask is that I'm about to post another message about color correction and if there are any easy tutorials or methods that anyone can suggest.

I've never been into "playing" with my projects to get things to match up better, even though I know that I should, but I really don't know the how-to's. I have a few projects that I'd love to go back and tweak the difference between camera 1 and for example where I shot an XL1s and GL1 etc.

Miguel
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Trustee

Color Finesse has a Color Match feature.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Color Finesse has a Color Match feature.
Could there be something just a little less expensive?
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Lombana
Could there be something just a little less expensive?
Not cheaper, but same functionality exists in AVID Liquid
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite