DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Finally DV Rack on a Mac? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/64442-finally-dv-rack-mac.html)

Karl Soule April 13th, 2006 10:24 AM

Hi Valeriu,

Yep - using an external mouse makes right-clicking easy. I know a lot of MacBook Pro users who try to stay as "mobile" as possible, and the built-in touchpad device doesn't offer a right-click option. It was a shock to some that Windows didn't natively recognize the option-click. That freeware utility for Windows corrects that.

No news on a virtualization solution yet. Parallels doesn't allow for Direct3D calls, so it prevents DV Rack from working, at least today. They say that they are working on it, so keep watching their site.

Dean Harrington April 14th, 2006 08:26 PM

Karl .....

any ideas about Ultra working on the Mac intel?

Karl Soule April 15th, 2006 09:37 AM

All Serious Magic software appears to run fine. A friend of a developer brought in their MacBook Pro to the office last night, and we loaded everything. Didn't do a lot of hardcore testing, but we recorded clips in DV Rack, brought them into ULTRA, keyed them, saved them back as QuickTime files, rebooted, and dragged/dropped them into FCP. We also tried Visual Communicator, and it also worked.

I would remind everyone that Boot Camp is beta software right now, and I have heard of a couple of cases where you'll have to reformat your Mac partition after installing Boot Camp, so make sure and backup, backup, backup!

Marco Leavitt May 5th, 2006 09:31 AM

What kind of latency are you guys seeing? Can you pull focus using the laptop as a monitor?

Marc Colemont April 14th, 2008 06:38 AM

Any updates on this subject?
What is the best workflow with the latest MacBook Pro and bootcamp versus the virtual mode?

Paul Mailath April 14th, 2008 07:14 AM

I'm running bootcamp and console 1.1 - it doesn't run with parallels and I recall reading that on location didn't either

Marc Colemont April 14th, 2008 07:58 AM

Any luck with VMware Fusion?

G. Lee Gordon April 16th, 2008 04:25 PM

If your going to run any video intense programs they won't work well with Parallel or other software that emulates the windows environment. But, they all run fine when used on windows via boot camp.

Gints Klimanis April 17th, 2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont (Post 859917)
Any luck with VMware Fusion?

VMware Fusion works with pretty much everything, but I'm having trouble using the MacBookPro Firewire port. USB recognizes devices. Has anyone tried Firewire capture or tape write under Fusion?

Marc Colemont April 24th, 2008 01:57 AM

Ok, I will use bootcamp and that extra utility to see the Mac Partition.

Before on the Serious Magic website, there was an explanation how to move a license from one computer to another as the license uses serial numbers from the motherboard. I think you needed to send a code generated, and you got a code back.
But I cannot find the info on the adobe website. Any help appreciated.

Tim Dashwood April 24th, 2008 08:14 AM

BTW, Scopebox 2.0 will be fully HDV and quicktime compatible, and of course OS X native. It will be available soon.
I fiddled with DVRack/On Location so much that I've come to the conclusion that even with using Bootcamp and a fresh install of XP it isn't reliable. It crashes too much for me to consider using it in a production environment.
I spoke with the developer of Scopebox at NAB and it seems he's figured out, without help from Apple, how to encapsulate an HDV stream into Quicktime. This includes 720p24, 720p25, 720p30, 720p50, 720p60, 1080p24, 1080i50, & 1080i60.
We'll know for sure when Scopebox 2.0 is released.

Marc Colemont May 1st, 2008 03:32 AM

Thanks for the info Tim