Finally DV Rack on a Mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Wrangler

Finally DV Rack on a Mac?

So now that Apple has released "Boot Camp" and you can now boot WIndows XP on a separate partition on an Intel Mac, does this mean DV Rack will run on a MacBook Pro?
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
So now that Apple has released "Boot Camp" and you can now boot WIndows XP on a separate partition on an Intel Mac, does this mean DV Rack will run on a MacBook Pro?
I'm already ahead of you Tim. Well sort of, I was thinking the same thing about Canon's Console and DVPC recorder applications. I'm thinking there is going to be a Macbook Pro in my future. ;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I fired up dvrack on a MacBook Pro and it worked fine. I didn't go into any details much but all the gauges and bars and preview monitors were lit up with the video I fed to it from a little Sony TRV22.

Hope that makes some of you happy.

btw: I have never seen windows xp as smooth and quick as on this MacBook. I recommed you install it just to see it run.

Donie
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Donie,
What kind of latency were you seeing?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Trustee

http://www.parallels.com has virtual machine software that will allow you to run XP without having to reboot your intel mac...it was released today and is in beta, 30 day free trial. I'd be interested to hear how it works from some brave soul, but don't have an intel mac to test it :(

--I am not a rep of the company in question--
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
http://www.parallels.com has virtual machine software that will allow you to run XP without having to reboot your intel mac...it was released today and is in beta, 30 day free trial. I'd be interested to hear how it works from some brave soul, but don't have an intel mac to test it :(

--I am not a rep of the company in question--
Virtualization is an awesome idea, but in the case of Virtual PC has always been plagued by driver issues. I wonder if these guys have worked out a better way to tunnel through directly to the processor and graphics cards.

I don't own an Intel Mac yet, but I'd like to know if DVRack would work with Parallels' software?
Old April 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Wrangler

That software is mentioned in this Wall Street Journal article about BootCamp and the Intel Macs: http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20060406.html

In the "side by side" table they say that Parallels runs slower than booting directly into Windows. I'd also expect that, although the author says he hasn't tried it himself. Will be interesting to see if they've solved some of the tough problems like Tim says.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I would dig it if HDV Rack went to Mac native, since I just bought a Power Mac Quad and PowerBook G4 (my wife would kill me if I bought another computer).

heath
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
I would dig it if HDV Rack went to Mac native, since I just bought a Power Mac Quad and PowerBook G4 (my wife would kill me if I bought another computer).

heath
The problem is that DVRack makes "extensive use of Microsoft's DirectShow Technology." So basically they are piggy-backing on technology built into Windows.

See http://www.seriousmagic.com/help/faq...cfm?p=3&c=1#48 for more info.
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

There's more to it than that, I think. Apple may not want to share some specifics. But if Windows XP is running well, ie, no lag like with Virtual PC, then I'll find someone with a MacBook Pro, grab HDV Rack, and get busy when I shoot my film this summer.

heath
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Would someone clear up .....

whether Direct X is a motherboard hardware issue, software issue or whatever? I'd love to use DV Rack and Ultra on a Mac. If Boot Camp will
allow this to be done (love to see DV Rack in HD) then I'd get a Mac Intel in a heart beat!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

DV Rack HDV (or is it HDV Rack) is excellent. Spot and I used it on the Sony HDV tour last fall/winter. www.vasst.com

hwm
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #13
Serious Magic

I've been holding off posting to this thread until we've tested it ourselves, but we've now heard from over 10 customers that have loaded DV Rack on their MacBook Pro using Windows, and it works fine. Here are a couple of notes to be aware of:

1. Windows won't natively read the Mac partition - you'll probably want to get a small utility called MacDrive for Windows, which will ensure that Windows will read and write to your Mac partition, your Mac-formatted CD-ROM's, removable hard drives, etc. DV rack can record to any device with a drive letter, so if you have MacDrive installed, it'll record right to that Mac-formatted removable USB2 drive just fine.

2. The MacBook pointer device only has one button, and Windows doesn't have a keyboard shortcut to right-click like MacOS has. DV Rack uses the right-click for a lot of settings, especially if you are at 1024x768 resolution. You can either use an external mouse (like the Mighty Mouse) or use a freeware program like this one: http://www.geocities.com/pronto4u/applemouse.html. Or, run your screen at a higher resolution, and use the menu items in the top toolbar.
Karl Soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #14
Major Player

Karl,
You can plug in any USB mouse in your Mac and it will recognise the right click and the scroll buttons without any additional drivers. I am using right now a Logitech plugged in the Apple keyboard. The same keyboard and mouse is used on Wintel box and also in VP running on the Mac. All buttons are fully functional.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #15
Major Player

Did anybody tried this program as an option to Boot Camp?
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite