Laptop mobility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Laptop mobility

Has anyone come up with a wild and wonderful (oh, and easy. And cheap. And safe. Oh yeah, and cool looking) way of carting the old laptop around while on location?

I did a shoot last week in a busy warehouse (using the demo version of DV Rack - full version arrived today!). To be honest, I was very reluctant to put my laptop on the floor next to a bunch of insane fork lift drivers!

OK, before anyone says "what about a 30m firewire cable" please check out my other post on this forum on that very subject!

I was thinking about brackets on the tripod, or shelves, or trolleys, or, I dunno, whatever - something that would allow the laptop to be within easy reach of the camera - surely a must have for a one or two person crew?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Ian, couple ideas.

First, I thought I'd get some sort of shelf that would mount on a second tripod. Then, I saw this little laptop table that folds up small enough to fit in a computer bag. (?)

Finally, I purchased an older model of this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search which I found in the dvinfo classifieds.

Haven't used it yet, but it looks real good.

Other ideas:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search Actually, this is the platform that's on my new (old) superclamp and ball double ball joint. Looks like this could mount directly to a tripod.

Try a search at bhphotovideo.com for bogen platform - that will turn up a lot of the various bits and pieces.

http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skysto...19&catId=14200 (but I'd never order direct from skymall again, was very dissapointed on another purchase a few years ago. I'd try to find the item from another supplier).
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Seth, thanks for the reply.

Now that looks real interesting! I've even managed to track down a UK supplier (makes a change!).

The Skymall thing doesn't convince me, but either of the Manfrotto jobs look just the thing. Any idea how they mount on a tripod?

I would really love to keep laptop and camera on the same tripod if possible but I'm a bit worried that my laptop is going to be too heavy (it's an Alienware desktop replacement weighing in at around 6kg).

Anyone got any photos of these things in action?

Ian . . .
Old April 20th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, this thing http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search will accept a 1/4"x20 or a 3/8" tripod screw directly, so, yes, if you want to use a tripod just for the laptop it's all you would need.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks again Seth.

I used DV Rack on a shoot yesterday and it really drove home the need to have the laptop and camera on the SAME tripod if at all possible.

I hear the ominous creaking of plastic making its way into the light of day after so long in my wallet . . .
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Serious Magic

http://www.deskspaceanyplace.com/
Karl Soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #7
New Boot

You can check camping supply store or hardware shop. I have checking the Coleman compact table. It folds for storage. I am not sure if Coleman is readily available in the UK.

Delfino
Delfino L. Tiongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark
Thanks again Seth.

I used DV Rack on a shoot yesterday and it really drove home the need to have the laptop and camera on the SAME tripod if at all possible.

I hear the ominous creaking of plastic making its way into the light of day after so long in my wallet . . .

Hmmm... somehow, i'd try to sling the laptop low, between the three legs (more room lower you get, plus it keeps the center of gravity lower, less chance of tipover)

I thought about making a plywood platform that would clip between the three legs, with velcro to secure the 'top. I do a fair amount of event videography and I think I would put a tripod dolly on the legs with swivel wheels, a laptop slung low.. and the whole thing on one multi-use powerstrip, just in case I needed to run a cord for both (now that your tape is only limited to the HD space, power might be more of an issue).

I'll post something if I get it built.

J
Joseph B Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I took some barstock aluminum and shaped it into a v. Then I curled the ends so that they would wrap around the tripod legs in such a way that the v will stick out horizontally from the tripod legs. To that I screwed a flat piece of aluminum to the top of a the v which created the table support for the tripod. I then wrapped tape on the part of the barstock that wrapped around the tripod legs so they wouldn't scratch the tripod. I now have a nice removable table which attaches to my tripod, dolly, crane for my laptop. Works great. Funny thing, it works with both my tripods.
Dave Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stewart
I took some barstock aluminum and shaped it into a v. Then I curled the ends so that they would wrap around the tripod legs in such a way that the v will stick out horizontally from the tripod legs. To that I screwed a flat piece of aluminum to the top of a the v which created the table support for the tripod. I then wrapped tape on the part of the barstock that wrapped around the tripod legs so they wouldn't scratch the tripod. I now have a nice removable table which attaches to my tripod, dolly, crane for my laptop. Works great. Funny thing, it works with both my tripods.
Do you have pics you can post so that we can see exactly what you did? That sounds like an interesting idea.
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
Chris Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Sure, I'll do it when I get home and post it somewhere.
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Dave,

Just wondering if you've gotten a chance to take photos of your mount setup.
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Oops. Sorry. I've been busy and now I'm going out of town for 10 days. I'll try to remember when I return.
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks, Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done.
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #15
New Boot

Here's another option, but its a second tripod

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...productID=2139

Cyberguys is a good company to do business with, I haven't had any probelms with them

James
James McEachern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite