Buying Used at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 5th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying Used

Hello,
I am on a limited budget, and I was wondering if there is anything wrong with buying a used copy of Adobe Premiere (such as off ebay)? Are there any issues of people registering it when they buy it, and later selling it?

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Luke,

I am not aware of any issues of buying used software, should not be any problem if it is only registered to one person/business and done so properly.

If you are interested I have the adobe collection 1.0 available. I am the original owner and no longer need the software since I have duplicates of the programs included with the purchase of my matrox card.

The software includes premiere pro 1.0, audition 1.0 encore 1.0 and after effects 6.5 standard. These are the academic versions in the original box with all manuals. I need to check with adobe but these should all qualify for the upgrades to the latest release.

Hope this helps, THANKS
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If they qualify for upgrades, how much would you sell them for?
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just a quick note:
There is no academic upgrade pricing. Basically, if you purchased an academic product in the past, Adobe does not offer upgrade pricing for the academic version. You have to get the full commercial upgrade.
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the info on the academic software, they sure got outdated quickly.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Springer
Hello,
I am on a limited budget, and I was wondering if there is anything wrong with buying a used copy of Adobe Premiere (such as off ebay)? Are there any issues of people registering it when they buy it, and later selling it?

Thanks,
Luke
Luke,

There are many different types of software for sale on ebay. Some are legitimate new copies. I have bought some and registered them with Adobe for instance for upgrade and support. Some are used copies that may or may not qualify for upgrades, but will not qualify for support. There are also copies that were a part of a package that was never opened and used. Then there are illegitimate copies that are a violation of copyright laws. There are many of these, so watch out for them. Usually you can tell by the price that they sell for.

If you are looking for the latest version of software, and a legal copy of said software, it will be about the same cost as buying it from a legal vendor. To save money you need to be looking for an older version. For example, After Effects 5.5 or 6.5, not the latest version.

If you are a person who likes to read the manual and have it at hand, then look for a full copy that includes the manual. Many many do not have the manual. The manuals sometimes sell for more than the software itself.

Ask questions of those who are selling and read the listing for all of the fine print.

Mike
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you for all of your replies, and thanks for the info Mike. I am looking for an older version, something that I can pick up pretty cheap. I'm looking for something under $400.

Thanks,
Luke
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Luke,
Send me an email. I have a copy of Premiere Pro 1.0 and an upgrade to 1.5. I will sell you both for $350 + shipping. My email is premiere@asvideoproductions.com And yes, these are legit copies
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Let me know if you have any interest in the academic video studio 1.0 collection, again this is a duplicate but it is legit an I do have copy of the sales receipt. Keep in mind there are no upgrades available. Thanks.
George Bean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite