HD footage is jumpy...on a DUAL 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 11th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #1
Trustee

HD footage is jumpy...on a DUAL 64

Hi,

I have an AMD 64 Dual core 3800+, 2gig RAM, 3 250G 7200rpm hard drives, Geforce 6600 LE, and whenever I playback HD footage on the premiere pro 2.0 timeline it is jumpy! I play it with VLC or Media Player Classic and there's no problem. But it gets weirder! Even after I render the footage on premiere, it is still jumpy. And I'm not even using any effects at all. I checked the adobe website and I seem to fullfil all the system requirement for realtime playback (even with magic bullet effects being applied!). It MUST have something to do with my settings. I really don't know what's the deal here. It's a pain in the ass to edit like this. Any advice will be apreciated.

cheers
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Have you defragged your hard drive/s? Fragmented drives causes the issue you are describing.

Defrag them and test the playback in PPro 2.0 again.

/Roger
Roger Averdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes, I defrag them constantly
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Major Player

O.k!

Check your Project Settings in PPro and make sure that they match the source footage.

/Roger
Roger Averdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Trustee

Yes, they do match. It's really strange, because there's some parts where the footage goes smoth and then it gets jumpy again.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #6
Trustee

I tried it and it didn't work. I don't know what could it be. I pondered that I might have an hard drive issue and that 7200rpm (maybe I need 10000rpm) would not be enough, but if this was the case, then I think the video would play jumpy when I played it outside of the premiere environment too. And this is not the case, since it plays beautifuly on media player classic and any other video player. It is only jumpy when I play it on premiere. This is making me edit in very very hard and upseting way.

Do you think my graphic card settings might influence this issue? Should I get a 10000rpm hard drive?
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Trustee

I know nVidia recently released drivers that better support HD video. Have you upgraded vid drivers lately? Does that card even offer 100% for HD?
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner
I know nVidia recently released drivers that better support HD video. Have you upgraded vid drivers lately? Does that card even offer 100% for HD?
I'll try to update the drivers for better support. I truly hope you're right on this one. The weird part is that the problem only happens on premiere.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
I'll try to update the drivers for better support. I truly hope you're right on this one. The weird part is that the problem only happens on premiere.
Rafael

If it's any consolation this type of jumpy playback is somewhat common. Plenty of posts about it. My laptop does it but my desktop doesn't when using Elements.

I too have tried all of the simple solutions: more RAM, faster defragged drives, separate data drives, and new video drivers. So far nothing I've tried has "fixed" my laptop. The laptop is a Dell 8200 with a 1.8 GHz M processor and 1.25 GB of Ram. Seems like that should be fast enough............ but it aint. :(

Hope you get yours working!
JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #10
Trustee

What's the speed of that laptop HD? Probably 5400, if so, that would be the reason. Had the same problem on my laptop with similar specs and a 5400. Switched to a 7200 and all is better.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
What's the speed of that laptop HD? Probably 5400, if so, that would be the reason. Had the same problem on my laptop with similar specs and a 5400. Switched to a 7200 and all is better.
The HD is a brand new 7200 RPM 8 MB buffer beast.

Wish I could figure this problem out. Usability of the SW is really compromised right now. I want to upgrade to Pro 2 but I'm afraid I'll have the same 'problem'.

JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #12
Trustee

Nice drive! Hmmmm, tough one. Swap file? What is it set to and where on the drive is it located (if you know)? Do you have a lot of services still running? i.e. the huge amount that windows unnecessarily comes defaulted Auto with ....
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Rafael:

When you say HD footage playback, are you talking about HDV on the timeline, or an intermediate file like Cineform, or what ? Are you saying even if you render to a new file, and then stick it on a new time line that the video will not preview properly ?

On other threads, I gotten some inkling that the Premiere Pro timeline Monitor does not give full resolution when play HD or HDV back off a rendered timeline. That appears to be the same with Vegas too, if I am not mistaken. Thus problems you are having may be related to down converstion processing for the monitor.... just a thought.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #14
Trustee

You are right, I believe. If you right click on the preview window you can adjust the quality of playback, as well as the size of the footage in the preview window.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Marco

Argh............... I'm such a tard! I just checked and my big new drive is actually only a 5400 RPM model. I really thought I had researched it out properly but obviously NOT.

Thanks again for mentioning this........... now, off to order another drive.

edit: Just ordered a 100 GB Hitachi 7200 RPM drive. :-)

sorry for the thread hijak
JohnG

Last edited by John Godden; May 19th, 2006 at 08:46 PM.
John Godden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite